2018 Navigator vs Expedition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to be renting a large SUV that needs to have good 3rd row space.

Seems like apart from the Mercedes GLS450/550 which is not available for booking, the 2018 Navigator / Expedition are the best choice. Suburbans, Yukon XL's and maybe Cadillac ESVs are also available, but the 2018 Navigator / Expedition is apparently a very big improvement.

I can rent the Expedition for half the rental price of the Navigator.

Question is, is there enough of a difference to justify getting the Navigator?

It's kind of like comparing the Suburban to an Escalade. The Expedition will come well equipped, maybe even with leather along with all the other options you would want. The Navigator may add a moonroof and a bunch of other little stuff you may not know how to operate. The name is a huge part of the price difference so don't be fooled and rent the Expedition. No way I'd pay double for that. I'm sure the Expedition will be pricy enough. Since large SUVs already have a premium attached to them.

Don't get the Tahoe (etc.) with the 3rd row whatever you do. I am a short guy and there's no room whatsoever.

I'd just get the Expedition. And if they give you a Suburban, just take that. But I am intrigued by the new Fords, though I can't see myself buying one. Had a 2016 F150 as a rental and it was great.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
I'd just get the Expedition. And if they give you a Suburban, just take that. But I am intrigued by the new Fords, though I can't see myself buying one. Had a 2016 F150 as a rental and it was great.

I use Hertz gold so I get to choose which car and drive to the exit without going to the counter.

The Surburban is in the Premium extra capacity SUV category along with the Expedition EL. I have a booking for the Luxury category (Navigator or Escalade) for the same price as the Surburban category.

The full size SUV category is much cheaper but only the Expedition has the 3rd row space.

Just in case an Expedition, Navigator or even Escalade ESV are not available, I also have a Surburban category reservation to make sure I have 3rd row space, but that is my 3rd choice.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer

The Surburban is in the Premium extra capacity SUV category along with the Expedition EL. I have a booking for the Luxury category (Navigator or Escalade) for the same price as the Surburban category.

The full size SUV category is much cheaper but only the Expedition has the 3rd row space.

Go for the Expedition EL if you need 3rd row space. IIRC they are a few inches shorter than the old Excursion so will have plenty of space inside. I've seen a few on the road and they are HUGE.

The Expedition and Expedition EL have the same 3rd row space. Difference is cargo area which is quite small in the regular Expedition.

What do these cost to rent today? if its half of 100 i would say spend 100 on navigator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back