Frozen Wiper Reservoir Container

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to just mix water, a tbsp of dish detergent and a couple splashes of rubbing alcohol and be done with it. during the summer you could bias towards more water, during the winter more rubbing alcohol. I'm considering going back to it. cheap!

-m

My last oil change about 4,500 miles ago was in the late summer. We've had what for us in the NYC area an extreme deep freeze lasting a week a longer with many nights in the single digit range.

I have since discovered that the wiper fluid added at the last oil change must have been the warm weather kind, because it froze in my reservoir. Started working yesterday when the temps got up to 40.

Originally Posted By: meep
I used to just mix water, a tbsp of dish detergent and a couple splashes of rubbing alcohol and be done with it. during the summer you could bias towards more water, during the winter more rubbing alcohol. I'm considering going back to it. cheap!

-m

How low do you want to go? For 0 F you would need need 25% methanol.

SF

Snagglefoot, we have to smuggle some Canadian washer fluid down south for some American pricing deals on motor oil.
wink.gif

This is the lowest temperature rated washer fluid I can find that's allowed to be shipped into Texas.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/sout...rm=washer+fluid

It's rated for -35°F but I have to order it for home delivery, it's not on store shelves and no ship to store for free pickup in store offered.

Tonight at the grocery store all the washer fluid on the shelf was +32°F rated, same as Walmart last week.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
Snagglefoot, we have to smuggle some Canadian washer fluid down south for some American pricing deals on motor oil.
wink.gif

I can get you some NAPA full synthetic by the qt. for $2 each. Valvoline makes it so it should be good oil.
Can you ask that JACK LINKS wookie that y'all have up there, to throw in some beef jerky?
happy2.gif
08.gif

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot

-m

SF

I'm glad you posted that - since I can't remember the formulas for doing that. Clearly, the homebrew won't be suitable for temps that cold.

What gets us to 24F?

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot

right about the methanol!
the 70% alcohol dumped in my reservoir to "increase" the existing 50/50 summer+winter mix, would still freeze/slush on the windshield at contact
too much water?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back