PF63 vs PF48 - How much more capacity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am entertaining the idea of putting the PF63 (or it's equivalent) on my 2008 Silverado. From what I've gathered they are pretty much identical with a minor difference in the bypass pressure. According to WIX the 57060 is 12 psi and the 57045 is 12-15. Both have a silicone ADBV.

Fram Ultra shows the same 12-15 psi for both their 48 and 63 equivalents.

Since the filter is about an inch longer between the two (Depending on manufacturer), how does that translate to additional capacity? Are we talking 3 oz or more like 10 oz? That's the only piece of information that I could not find anywhere.

My main reason for waitning to use the longer filter for ease or changing the filter since you can't use your hand due to clearance issues. There shouldn't be any clearance issues with it hanging below the oil pan either. Plus it will hit other things under the truck before it hits the filter. It should give more filtering media and capacity which is a bonus if it does.

You can run it with zero issues. I was running the longer filter (PF63 equivalent) on my CTS-V with no issues, but I am not sure how much more capacity you get. Anything is better than the factory PF48 tiny sized filter. I refused to run the small PF48 filter.

Bigger is better but will there ever be a noticible difference in engine life?

I'm sure a 3-5 oz increase is not going to make much of a difference. But if the capacity increase is sufficient I want to make sure I get enough oil for the change.

Truck takes 6 quarts.

Not sure on increased engine life but ease of change is what I'm really after. It's not easy to get a filter wrench in their either due to the sway bar.

Last edited:
One thing I did notice is that there is not an equivalent WIX 57045 to the Fram Ultra but there is to the FP63.

The Fram equivalent to the Wix 57045 is Extra Guard 10590 which I wouldn't use. But, there is a PF63 equivalent which is XG10575. The XG10575 would the the correct Fram filter if I wanted to go with the longer version of the PF48/Wix 57060, correct?

I'm running the Wix 57045 on my 08 Malibu LTZ 3.6 with no problems and the Wix 57045XP on my 2017 Buick Regal GS 2.0T, hate those tiny factory filters.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Mossyoakglock
One thing I did notice is that there is not an equivalent WIX 57045 to the Fram Ultra but there is to the FP63.

The Fram equivalent to the Wix 57045 is Extra Guard 10590 which I wouldn't use. But, there is a PF63 equivalent which is XG10575. The XG10575 would the the correct Fram filter if I wanted to go with the longer version of the PF48/Wix 57060, correct?

Yes, go with the XG10575 Fram Ultras as that is the PF63 equivalent. I have about 50 of them, so let me know if you need a 6 pack. I can spare a bunch!

I have a ton of oil filters. Don't ask me why. I have Amsoil EAO17, AC Delco PF63 (classic style non-e-core) and Fram XG 10575. If anyone needs some, I will sell them CHEAP just to clear out my garage!

Last edited:
You should see how tiny that filter is when you get it out of the can. We're talking 2.375 inches long. If you have the room for the longer filter without it hanging down too far, by all means run the longer filter. The irony is the V6 filter is about 1.5 inches longer. And it's not the capacity I'd be concerned about; it's the flow volume.

I just looked it up. The 2008 Chevy Silverado 5.3 and the 2017 Buick Regal 2.0 both specify the same size tiny 57060XP filter. Fascinating. And by the way, the only difference between that and the 51040XP 3.8 liter V6 filter is the thread size. Meanwhile, the 4.3 liter V6 takes the longer 51036XP filter.

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
You should see how tiny that filter is when you get it out of the can. We're talking 2.375 inches long. If you have the room for the longer filter without it hanging down too far, by all means run the longer filter. The irony is the V6 filter is about 1.5 inches longer. And it's not the capacity I'd be concerned about; it's the flow volume.

Why? Do you think the filter is not designed properly for the engine?

I have ran longer oil filters in the past and I would also say approx 5-6 oz more than the shorty. But I could not tell the difference when cutting them open as I never saw any more dirt / sludge on the the long vs the short. If your engine is clean, the shorty will be plenty of filter for a normal OCI

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kschachn

I got two of them cut open and for the life of me can't understand how such a big engine can get enough oil through such an itty-bitty filter. It looks like it belongs on a zero turn mower.

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
Originally Posted By: kschachn

I got two of them cut open and for the life of me can't understand how such a big engine can get enough oil through such an itty-bitty filter. It looks like it belongs on a zero turn mower.

Positive dislacement oil pump. A smaller filter will have more delta-p due to the reduced flow area, but probably not enough to effect oil flow to the engine unless you're running at near redline.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Bigger is better but will there ever be a noticible difference in engine life?

Short answer? Maybe... the larger filter should have slower flow through the media since there's more surface area.... thus increasing it's efficiency...

But does it translate into longer engine life? Not (necessarily) really.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Short answer? Maybe... the larger filter should have slower flow through the media since there's more surface area.... thus increasing it's efficiency.

I've never seen any formal test data that correlates filter efficiency to different steady flow rates through the filter. Would be an knteresting test.

Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
Originally Posted By: Mossyoakglock

Yes, go with the XG10575 Fram Ultras as that is the PF63 equivalent. I have about 50 of them, so let me know if you need a 6 pack. I can spare a bunch!

I have a ton of oil filters. Don't ask me why. I have Amsoil EAO17, AC Delco PF63 (classic style non-e-core) and Fram XG 10575. If anyone needs some, I will sell them CHEAP just to clear out my garage!

I am very glad I read this because this is a revelation for all Chev truck owners. I just got off the Fram site. For the Fram Ultra, in 2013 the Chev 5.3, 4.3, and 6.2 gas V-8 in the 1500 as well as the 6.0 in the 2500 Suburban all called for the
XG10060. But in 2014 it all changed to XG10575. Which is the longer filter. But I take it your are saying the XG10575
can be backwards spec’d to the earlier pre-2014 engines. Correct?

SF

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back