Institute of Materials-Oil Testing Database

Status
Not open for further replies.
$7,150 to buy the Americas database?

If every BITOG member chipped in a dollar, then maybe....
smile.gif

And what value do you get for the money, exactly? I'm a little unclear on that even after looking at the website.

They say this:

Quote:
The possibilities are endless, but here are just a few ways to use the IOM Engine Oil Database:

Understand crucial properties of competitive products.
Audit blend consistency between geographic regions.
Monitor oils for formulation changes.
Assess and monitor the overall quality of engine oils in the market.
Evaluate new technology advancements.
Uncover trends and compare them to characteristics of specific oils.
Improve decisions about marketing and competitive intelligence.
Unbiased data for technical presentations.
Compare and contrast performance of oils within and between geographic regions.

But what does that tell me, the common reader? Am I supposed to be able to divine the future performance of an oil in some random application by the use of this data?

I buy oil from one of the majors and not worry about the oil. Mobil, Chevron, Shell, Valvoline etc., are all great oils

So they are a watchdog on the industry? Making sure the oil tests out against the spec sheet?

I guess... But I agree with CT8, where have we seen evidence that major brand oils don't meet the specs?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
So they are a watchdog on the industry? Making sure the oil tests out against the spec sheet?

I guess... But I agree with CT8, where have we seen evidence that major brand oils don't meet the specs?

The way I see it, these reports provide way more data than is published in any publicly available spec sheet. For BITOGers that love to dissect such detail, this would be a goldmine.

Originally Posted By: CT8
I buy oil from one of the majors and not worry about the oil.

Great. BITOG can now be officially closed down.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The way I see it, these reports provide way more data than is published in any publicly available spec sheet. For BITOGers that love to dissect such detail, this would be a goldmine.

We could argue and nitpick over the contents of such a site for months on end. Maybe oil companies might have a use for this, although they're quite capable of testing the products of the competition all on their own. I do suppose it might give data on some products they don't want to bother testing themselves, or give them heads up on something they think they should chose to test.

Quote:
The possibilities are endless, but here are just a few ways to use the IOM Engine Oil Database:

Understand crucial properties of competitive products.
Audit blend consistency between geographic regions.
Monitor oils for formulation changes.
Assess and monitor the overall quality of engine oils in the market.
Evaluate new technology advancements.
Uncover trends and compare them to characteristics of specific oils.
Improve decisions about marketing and competitive intelligence.
Unbiased data for technical presentations.
Compare and contrast performance of oils within and between geographic regions.

Doesn't PQIA do the relevant portion of this list?

Some, but this seems to be on a much wider scale, and geared towards assisting companies, rather than consumers. The PQIA isn't really about comparing oils, but to check oils to see they're meeting the claims they specify, particularly the API claims.

On your list, 1, probably 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 really aren't within their mandate, and 4 might be, with a wording tweak, since they aren't assessing the overall quality of engine oils on the market, but are looking to get off the market things that really shouldn't be characterised as motor oils in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back