08 buick lacrosse abs/traction control issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
So for the past few weeks everyone once and a while my abs/traction control lights would come on randomly, but by morning when I re started the car they would be gone..now after my battery went dead and I changed my battery the lights will not go off and the system is not working...took it to a mechanic said he ran a scan and it says the EBCM (co101) unit and the BPMV power unit are bad. It's like 1400.00 in parts alone..so question, what do you guys thing ??/ replace the units??? try something different ??? or just pull the fuses and turn off the traction control and abs, I dont really need the features, but will pulling the fuses also remove the dashlights that are on.. thanks

Last edited:
I would bet dollars to donuts that you have a bad wheel bearing/hub. GM vehicles use a bearing/hub combo that also houses the wheel speed sensor. When one fails you lose the ABS and traction control systems as these systems use the wheel speeds to determine what to do. You can pay a GM dealer to scan for the code to determine which bearing is shot. Or you can use a multimeter and figure it out for free.

Don

We need codes... Without those it's hard to be of much help. C0101 isn't a valid code.

I highly doubt it's the EBCM unless you connected the new battery backwards or something crazy.

With all the salt that has been on the roads the last several weeks there is a very good chance that all that is wrong is that salt has gotten on the wheel speed sensors and is blocking it from working. Have someone put it up on a lift and hose off the sensors so there is no salt on them, and see if the problem goes away.

Last edited:
Do you mean DTC C0110? If so....You most likely have a ABS Pump issue OR a ABS Pump Relay issue. The odds of BOTH going bad are remote at best!!!

The ABS Pump is part of the BPMV
The Pump Relay is part of the EBCM

Find a real Technician! Not a code reading parts changer, Or I might be able to walk you through at least testing the ABS Pump.....If it tests good, It's most likely the Relay.

Pulling fuses will not remove the warning lamps from the dash,The Cluster/IPC expects communication from the EPCM & if not received it will still light all the ABS warning lamps. You would have to pull & disassemble the IPC & pull the bulbs out. Most GM IPC's have the warning bulbs soldered to the circuit board which would make replacing the bulbs later a lot more involved.

If someone other than you drives this car....It would be best to fix the ABS/TCS. I disabled it on my Camaro but nobody else drives it.

I had the same problem (warning lights) on my Lacrosse... turns out I ran over something that cut the wheel speed sensor wiring harness.
My code was a COO40. "Right front wheel speed sensor circuit malfunction".

well just wanted to let all you gearheads know that it was fixed...the problem,, apparently when I removed and changed the dead battery and pu the new one in, I inadvertently caused one of the connections to come apart and when the mechanic traced the wires and re plugged them back together it solved the problem...freaking crazy....

Originally Posted By: lucerne06
well just wanted to let all you gearheads know that it was fixed...the problem,, apparently when I removed and changed the dead battery and pu the new one in, I inadvertently caused one of the connections to come apart and when the mechanic traced the wires and re plugged them back together it solved the problem...freaking crazy....

Sounds like you have an excellent mechanic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back