Instead of banning ICE's

Status
Not open for further replies.
This version of "picking winners" actually makes a whole lot of sense.

Don't get me wrong, I love my cars, and driving...but instead of banning ICE's for the good of everyone and transferring the issues, it's actually doing something to fix their issues.

Remains to be said whether they live up to their promise of providing the public transport infrastructure

So...:
-they have to keep some or most of the road infrastructure in place for the public and commercial and existing vehicles PLUS an remain-to-be-seen-growing-public-transport-capacity
-and have room to breathe?
-and maybe push electric/plug-able vehicle replacement for existing (do they have the necessary power infrastructure?)

Originally Posted By: pandus13
-and maybe push electric/plug-able vehicle replacement for existing (do they have the necessary power infrastructure?)

Thats where hybrids could really help. They pollute far less, and you don't always plug them in, running off existing gasoline infrastructure.
Its a good way to transition to an all-electric vehicle society in 30 or 40 years from now.

Easy to talk about until it affects each one of us individually.

Singapore is already very expensive when it comes to cars. By the time you pay for the privilege of driving (stamp), the cost has doubled.

A good diesel engine uses 200-220gm fuel per kwh generated power. To store 1 kwh of power it takes about 11kg of LiFePO4 batteries.
https://www.lithiumion-batteries.com/products/12-volt-lithium-ion-batteries/sb260.php
That is a ratio of 1:50. Perhaps 1:40 if you figure the weight of the fuel tank. I carry about 500kg of fuel when full. I'd hate to have to carry instead 20 tons of batteries.
Not good enough yet.
I wonder what kind of batteries Tesla's (?vaporware?) semi uses?

They've got 12% of their land covered by roads already.

Past 6+ months I've been wondering about the future of private automobile ownership.

Makes little sense from a rational perspective to have a motor vehicle stationary 80+% of it's existance, then all want to be in exactly the same place every morning/afternoon.

Autonomous, Electric vehicles, probably only need 1/4 of the total number, just keep them all moving as a "swipe the credit card" taxi service.

Near term, cities have been planning to or already have some areas of the city which is accessible only via clean Hybrid city buses and electric Light Commuter Rail. They could just keep taking over more blocks near-ish to the city center.... Trend is they will take a lot over by 2040.
Delivery trucks can have access to the back part of the block, away from pedestrians along a multi-mile strip. (Emergency vehicles can drive where the Hybrid buses can go.)

A bizarre side effect to the Singapore ban would be that many might never want to sell their cars! No new registrations after all.
This could create a Cuba-like place where old Buicks and Chevy's etc. dominate. Like it was frozen in time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Near term, cities have been planning to or already have some areas of the city which is accessible only via clean Hybrid city buses and electric Light Commuter Rail. They could just keep taking over more blocks near-ish to the city center.... Trend is they will take a lot over by 2040.
Delivery trucks can have access to the back part of the block, away from pedestrians along a multi-mile strip. (Emergency vehicles can drive where the Hybrid buses can go.)

A bizarre side effect to the Singapore ban would be that many might never want to sell their cars! No new registrations after all.
This could create a Cuba-like place where old Buicks and Chevy's etc. dominate. Like it was frozen in time.

They'll probably place age limits on cars once the new infrastructure is in place. When you are a small country, your land is precious. It's a complete waste to pave it under asphalt for parking lots.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Instead of banning all ICE engines, to deal with pollution they could ban all non-hybrid vehicles, and also allow all-electric ones too.

No new electric vehicles either means no piddling with the electrical grid to compensate for them. No new private vehicles is a very simple solution. Singapore just has chosen to avoid subsidising any of the new technologies.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Are they still punishing gum-chewers with 50 lashes over in Singapore?

I'm not sure, but a couple years ago, Maurizio Arrivabenne got a $1000 fine and spent a few hours in custody for throwing a cigarette onto the street.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
This seems to have nothing to do with emissions at all. Just a traffic issue.

IJust glad I don't live there.

It's actually a great place to live.

You don't need a car in Singapore like you don't need a car in Manhattan. It is a luxury item there. It is going to be easier to get around on a taxi or subway than finding parking.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
They'll probably place age limits on cars once the new infrastructure is in place.

I hear this thought come up now and then. What if a person only averages 3000 mile a year? Forcing people to scrap cars before they're used up doesn't sit well with me. Too intrusive and a waste of somebody's hard earned money.

Originally Posted By: Kestas

I hear this thought come up now and then. What if a person only averages 3000 mile a year? Forcing people to scrap cars before they're used up doesn't sit well with me. Too intrusive and a waste of somebody's hard earned money.

Last time I heard they have a limitation of 10 years, regardless of miles. That's the law there and you basically factor it in ahead of time before you decide to buy or not. At the end you basically sell and export it to another country.

Other countries do the same thing but use excuses like, emission, inspection, tax, etc. At least in Singapore it is not a necessities like in the US, and most people don't have cars there other than for luxury and enjoyment. Even if they have cars they usually commute in mass transits.

Last edited:
Somehow, I was unaware that Singapore was a small coastal island. Now it makes sense........mostly.

Seems they were given little choice, considering the geography.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
At the end you basically sell and export it to another country.

We import them here, most from Japan, but we get cars from Singapore too - a lot of top end stuff because they like to look sucessful, but they have an engine size limit. Not much over 2 litre, and things like S Class Mercedes with 2.8 engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back