VSP 20w50 04 Lexus ES330 5778mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the UOA for my 2004 Lexus ES330 running AZ clearance Valvoline Syn Power 20w50 for 5778 mi. Good TBN retention, no sodium and wear metals exual to the recently posted VOA of Shell Rotella T-6 Multi Vehicle 5w30. Engine continues to produce exceptionally low wear metals on Valvoline (and other oils as well) and this 20w50 is no different. This run was done with one of the Rock Auto (counterfeit) Toyota Copy oil filters. Commute is still 110 miles daily and the car averages 22-25k/year.

Enjoy

Very nice report. Thick or Thin oil... work just fine in most vehicles; regardless of what the fanatical extremes would have you believe.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
This run was done with one of the Rock Auto (counterfeit) Toyota Copy oil filters.

This engine probably makes so little metal, the need for an oil filter is even questionable
27.gif

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Hmmmm.. . what was the change in gas mileage during this period?

Hard to say for sure, but within the accuracy of my mileage tracking a loss of about 0.22-0.30 MPG averaged over the entire OCI compared to the previous entire OCI.

20W-50 !!! The engine should have blown up the second it was started with that thick syrup that makes STP oil treatment look like water in comparison. Other that that she is looking good.

Originally Posted By: car51
Luke: what did you replace oil and filter with?

The 20w50 was replaced with the QS Defy from the other UOA I posted with another cheap Rock Auto clearance knock off Toyota filter. The Defy was run with the same filter. Current fill in the car is my remaining 3 quarts of QS Defy 5w20 one Quart of Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5w30 and one Quart of PYB 20w50 with an Affina made Car Quest Red 85348 filter. Will run that for another 5,000 miles. Next up will either be M1 ESP 0w30 or M1 EP 10w30.

That would be great. I’m running a EDGE HM 10w40/GTX ultra clean 50/50% blend in the Camry next and TG 4386 for 3rd 5k OCI
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: car51
That would be great. I’m running a EDGE HM 10w40/GTX ultra clean 50/50% blend in the Camry next and TG 4386 for 3rd 5k OCI
smile.gif

After seeing this stellar report on 20w50 maybe you should run some clearance 20w50 Max Life come summertime!

Valvoline has always had good products. I ran 20W50 conventional in a ‘70 VW Beetle and ‘87 Mazda B 2000. It proved to be a bit thick for the Mazda and I backed off to Valvoline 10W30 conventional.

Originally Posted By: MParr
Valvoline has always had good products. I ran 20W50 conventional in a ‘70 VW Beetle and ‘87 Mazda B 2000. It proved to be a bit thick for the Mazda and I backed off to Valvoline 10W30 conventional.

I've been a Valvoline guy for years and years, long before the internet existed. I remember special ordering VR-1 10w30 at my local Napa many years ago to use in my daily driver Oldsmobile. I liked the idea of using a racing oil in my car I suppose. Was likely API SH or SJ at the time would be my guess in the mid 90s

FlyNavyP3
I’m going back to Valvoline exclusively for my 2.0T Escape. I discovered that running 10W30 conventional in a ‘91 Ford Ranger, I achieved the best fuel mileage.

FlyNavyP3 thanks again for the UOA's! I was wondering how my 3MZ-FE would fare on 20W50 considering it seems to have a leaky valve stem seal issue. Now I might give it a shot and see how the oil consumption goes since yours did superbly on the thicker stuff.

You've ran from 20 grade all the way up to 50 grade now on this engine without a hiccup. What's your personal favorite?

Very nice report, thanks for posting.

Would it be possible to list the precious oils in order, to help with the comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back