Instant Pot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering if anyone got one for Christmas, or already had one and if you like it. My wife got me a small one (3 qt) for Christmas and so far I've made chicken noodle soup and a beef pot roast. Both turned out extremely well. I'm going to pressure cook a cornish hen tonight for dinner and see how that comes out. The book says it only takes 10-15 minutes to pressure cook a cornish hen...

We've had one for a number of years. I don't cook in it, but wife does quite a bit and she likes it.

BTW, this thread belongs in the cooking subforum.

We have a 6qt one and really like it. Still playing around with some features on it, but it generally works very well. I've found, however, that most recipes I find online are extremely conservative on cook time. Some recipes, I've had to double the amount of time. Not sure why there'd be such a discrepancy. I love making broth in it though. So much faster and easier than simmering carcasses for several days in the crockpot.

Had one a few years and yes it does several things well.

Black Friday just gone we got a large capacity air fryer. Also a useful tool.

My son bought a 6qt model. I should investigate. Mum used to borrow Myra B's to put up preserves or make plum pudding.

Got one during Thanksgiving.

It works pretty good for a pressure cooker. Wife likes to do it the old fashion way so I try to find ways to use it. So far I'm happy with it but wife thinks the pressure cooking taste different. Beans soups are mushy instead of powdery falling apart, chicken soup doesn't have as much flavor, and meat stew still takes the same amount of time to prep (saute searing, pot transfer, etc).

I think there are use but not as helpful as I originally expected.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
meat stew still takes the same amount of time to prep (saute searing, pot transfer, etc).

You can saute in the instant pot. Maybe it's too small though?

You absolutely can sauté in the IP...last night I pressure cooked a Cornish hen in 15 minutes...the meat was falling apart, it was so tender...I'm trying to figure out much time it takes to pressure cook frozen meat...I think the cooking times given in the book are just for non-frozen meats...

We have one now. Used it five times with success. We made mac & cheese is about 12 minutes last night. A lot of fantastic recipes out there.

We got the Instant Pot Ultra. It's been okay for some things. I think her stew & gravy has came out the best so far but I think she has done out off the side part of it (like adding the saute mushrooms after instead of in the Instant Pot). Couple times the chicken came out good (she uses chicken broth in place of water).
She did beans last with lots of bacon, sausage etc., and it came out pretty good because she got it out before it turned to mush but will go back to the old way of all day on the stove.
I guess it has its place but we haven't found it yet.
So our Instant Pot doesn't get much use as we prefer the Green Mountain Grill, Masterbuilt Smoker, Weber charcoal grill etc. Even the stove/oven or crock pot for indoors.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
We got the Instant Pot Ultra. It's been okay for some things. I think her stew & gravy has came out the best so far but I think she has done out off the side part of it (like adding the saute mushrooms after instead of in the Instant Pot). Couple times the chicken came out good (she uses chicken broth in place of water).
She did beans last with lots of bacon, sausage etc., and it came out pretty good because she got it out before it turned to mush but will go back to the old way of all day on the stove.
I guess it has its place but we haven't found it yet.
So our Instant Pot doesn't get much use as we prefer the Green Mountain Grill, Masterbuilt Smoker, Weber charcoal grill etc. Even the stove/oven or crock pot for indoors.

Sounds like you've been pretty much using it as a traditional crock pot, which is fine, but pressure cooking seems to be what this device excels at. I was impressed at how good a Cornish hen turned out after pressure cooking for just 15 minutes...it was falling apart because the meat was so tender...

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer

Yeah, it is too small to saute the amount I was trying to make.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer

Yeah, it is too small to saute the amount I was trying to make.

I sauté in mine all the time, but then again, I'm only cooking for myself...

We love ours. Yesterday I put 1.5 pounds of ground beef frozen HARD in it with about a quart of spaghetti sauce, some garlic, etc.

30 minutes later it tastes like it cooked all day on the stove!

Terrific machine

It is on the counter, in front of the breadmachine, beside the coffee pot. Made chicken stock that became chicken noodle soup. Before that a frozen pork loin. "30 minutes later it tastes like it cooked all day on the stove!" 'zactly. Anything that cuts down on cooking time saves propane!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back