Fram PH3387A

Status
Not open for further replies.
$ 3.77 at Home depot and Walmart .

$ 3.59 Napa Silver with current discount .

Which is the better filter ?

Thanks , :)

Should probably throw in the ST Wix at WM for around $2.77 or so. The Fram has an efficiency rating of 95% for 20 microns and larger.

If you are referring to the Fram Extra Guard for $3.77, I would prefer it over the NAPA Silver for the following reason(s):
1. The Fram Extra Guard has a dome end bypass valve and it is independent from the ADBV in some/most cases.
2. The NAPA Silver has a combo valve. Some folks take issue with the nitrile combo valves. Again for some/most cases.
3. The Fram Extra Guard efficiency is better. 95% @ 20 micron.
4. Rare to see a bad cut & post of either filter even when seriously abused.
5. Still can't decide, flip a coin.

More important is what air filter will be used. For that I'd go oem or a Fram Extra Guard. With the Fram being preferred.

The end result in the differences in engine wear in real life would be iconsequential. What really matters in that the filter doesn't fail in operation .

Neither has a bypass valve required so the Napa Silver for me. I just don't like some of the EG 's pictured here. I got the Luber Finer PH477 for about $5 with discount, which is above these filters.

If you want better efficiency and a silicone ADBV (only on the newer EGs, so check ADBV color before buying), then get the Fram over the NAPA Silver.

Fram has started using silicone ADBV's on even their cheapest filters, so if you can find a PH3387A with the silicone, that would be my choice. Otherwise, Napa Silver.

FWIW, the ST at Walmart is less than $3 is the same as the Napa Proselect
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I would pick the Super Tech, since it should be exactly the same filter as the NAPA Silver, for less money.

The STech is the same as the Napa pro select.The silver is slightly better than the pro select with a some extra pleats.The gold is better yet..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back