QS Defy 5w20 API SL 2004 ES330 4456mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another sample from my 2004 Lexus ES330. This one is all clearance AZ 5w20 Quaker State Defy API SL "high zinc" formula. Commute remains 110 miles/day with about 22-25k/yr on the car. This run was done with one of the Rock Auto (counterfeit) Toyota Copy oil filters. Current fill is all SOUPS with random quarts of leftover clearance oil consisting of 3 quarts QS Defy API SL 5w20, 1 Quart (non GTL) Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5w30, 1 quart PYB 20w50 with a Car Quest Red (Affina made) filter. Kept the mixing all SOPUS to keep similar add packs.

Enjoy!

Looks good! Toyota engines do wear exceptionally well and your Lexus is another example of this.
thumbsup2.gif

What were the previous oils (used in the previous UOAs), if you recall?

I always read that newer oils are a lot better, but if in fact the earlier UOAs were done with modern oils, that SL oil sure doesn't look any worse.

I have the same engine in my Sienna. Haven't yet done a UOA but I'd love to have a report like this if I did.

Your aluminum level was 2X higher with 5W20 than 20W50!!!
This proves that these newfangled water-thin girly man oils are no good.

;^)

Originally Posted By: paulri
What were the previous oils (used in the previous UOAs), if you recall?

I always read that newer oils are a lot better, but if in fact the earlier UOAs were done with modern oils, that SL oil sure doesn't look any worse.

I have the same engine in my Sienna. Haven't yet done a UOA but I'd love to have a report like this if I did.

Oils left to right: Current QS Defy 5w20, VSP 20w50, PYB SAE 30, PUP(PP) 5w30, M1 5w30 older low Mg formula (SM rated 4 quarts, 1 qt Red Line 5w30), VSP 5w30

Interesting. The UOAs with the older oils show just as low wear metal results as those with newer oils.

Last edited:
Interesting. The UOAs with the older oils show just as low wear metal results as those with newer oils.

To be fair the QS Defy I used was produced in the era of API SN and likely shares base stocks with API SN brethren, they just couldn't claim API SN because they used to dose this oil with more than the SN limit for Zinc, thus the API SL claim. If anyone has any legit older API SL oil they'd like to donate I'll gladly run it for 5,000 miles. The second UOA from the right was legit API SM oil, unfortunately that run had a little higher silicon and wear numbers due to having a 1/8" vacuum hose off for about two weeks that I didn't catch. That run was 4 quarts M1 5w30 API SM with 1 Quart Red Line 5w30 with no API spec.

The car and usage pattern has shown to be super easy on oil and I could probably stretch the OCI WAAAAAAAAAAAY out if I so desired, but with the quantity of oil in my stash I see no reason to. It gets me under the car every 5,000 miles checking things out and it correlates with my tire rotations.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
It's too thin, it's too thin. Oh wait...
lol.gif

It's too thick , Its too thick. Oh wait... wrong uoa.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
It's too thin, it's too thin. Oh wait...
lol.gif

It's too thick , Its too thick. Oh wait... wrong uoa.

I was amused to see that both UOA posted almost identical results, I'm pleased but not surprised since this car has had nothing but stellar UOA since I acquired it from my mother 2 years ago. I've run a different oil brand/grade every single OCI for two years with no ill effects. Every oil filter from a Fram Ultra to a unknown quantity clearance filter. Nothing seems to phase this engine, which is a good thing and is represented well with the 20w50 vs 5w20 back to back UOA.

I just realized that when you said PYB SAE 30, that this was Pennzoil's straight 30 weight.

Man, I Doublewasp was right when he said this engine doesn't care--you have 5w30, 20w50, and a straight 30 running in this engine--all with nearly identical wear metal results.

I just realized that when you said PYB SAE 30, that this was Pennzoil's straight 30 weight.

Man, I Doublewasp was right when he said this engine doesn't care--you have 5w30, 20w50, and a straight 30 running in this engine--all with nearly identical wear metal results.

All displayed on this UOA includes a QS 5w20 a VSP 20w50 PYB SAE 30 (yes a monograde) PUP 5w30 M1/Redline 5w30 mix and VSP 5w30. All within a couple PPM wear metals and always single digit wear metals. I will be continuing to run new and different oils in this car to see how they perform.

Still to be tried, Edge 10w30, MileSyn 5w30, QS Ultimate Durability 10w30, M1 0w30 ESP, M1 10w30 EP, Napa Synthetic 5w30, Valvoline Max Life 20w50, M1 15w50, maybe even Peak 5w30 conventional. That represents another 2 years worth of OCI at 5,000 on everything but the M1 EP which I'd like to run for 10k. All oils I currently have in my stash to try out.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Keep up the good work. I'm subscribing for more interesting UOA results.

Thank you for the kind words, probably about 10 weeks out from the next oil change and UOA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back