1985 Dodge Ram 225 Slant 6 Rotella T4 2600k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, guys. Here's my second UOA on the Dodge. Surprisingly insolubles went way down this time. This engine is kind of dirty inside from sitting for so many years. So I've been doing short intervals to clean it out. Let me know what you guys think!

I think it looks great. Keep on using the Rotella 15w40 and thanks for posting
smile.gif

Nice UOA from this old dear.
I would imagine that these things typically shed metal at rates that would make a Honda owner blanch, and Blackstone seems to agree.
Also, kudos to you for being unafraid to use a grade that suits your climate.
These things probably called for 10W-30 but a 15W-40 HDEO is fine for the temperatures that you see.
From a cleaning point of view, though, this oil has only a normal PCMO dose of calcium and but a smidge of mag.

Use some Engine Oil Flush at the end of your next short OCI. CRC, Motor Medic, etc available at Walmart. Just pour it in a warm/hot engine, idle it for 5 mins or so. Drain out, etc...works like magic.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Linctex
The slant 6 was all the way up until 1985?

'87, actually

I suspect that the higher metals in the first UOA are from long-term corrosion from inactivity.
The insoluble count will also include some of the muck/stuff that's getting flushed out; hence the improvement.
These two relatively short OCIs are flushing out the old stuff.
I expect it will settle even a bit further with use, presuming the use continues in a more normal fashion and does not sit for long periods.
The FP is a tad low and fuel a tad high; probably due to carb'd engine. No harm; just an observation.

If you're going to operate it with reasonable consistency, then I'd agree longer OCIs can be done; try 5k miles next time.

These old slant-six engines are incredibly hard to kill; they just keep running and running and running and ...

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, everyone! I think the fuel dilution and low FP may be related to how long I warm up the engine on cold mornings. When I start it, I let it run a good 15 minutes to let the cab get toasty on the inside and all that time with the choke on is probably to blame.

Now that the insolubles have taken a dive for the better, I'll start extending my intervals longer now. I honestly never thought my wear numbers would be this good on this truck, but I'm glad I was wrong.

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
Originally Posted By: Linctex
The slant 6 was all the way up until 1985?

'87, actually

On trucks in Mexico through 91 I think

Originally Posted By: car51
I think it looks great. Keep on using the Rotella 15w40 and thanks for posting
smile.gif

Exactly, report looks good, low iron wear metals, keep using the Rotella T4 15W40.
I like the old slant six engines.

My parents had a 1985 Dodge truck with a slant 6 as well. It was the farm truck. A 2wd "Prospector" edition, with a 4 speed standard shift.
It was a pretty tough truck. What I learned to drive stick on!

Originally Posted By: cronk
My parents had a 1985 Dodge truck with a slant 6 as well. It was the farm truck. A 2wd "Prospector" edition, with a 4 speed standard shift.
It was a pretty tough truck. What I learned to drive stick on!

These engines definitely are tough. This one is the D100 "Custom" with a TorqueFlite automatic. It was my Grandad's old truck. I put it on the highway at 75 quite a bit with no issues. Gonna run her till she quits! If that happens, I'll be rebuilding the engine.

Keep doing what you're doing. 5k OCI should work fine if you keep it topped off. You don't need to use any additives, just fresh oil at OCI time. Those slant 6s are very tough, I raced one in a Gremlin back in 1978 - it was a 6 Hour race at Road Atlanta. We started 40th something and chugged our way to the top 20 by the end.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Keep doing what you're doing. 5k OCI should work fine if you keep it topped off. You don't need to use any additives, just fresh oil at OCI time. Those slant 6s are very tough, I raced one in a Gremlin back in 1978 - it was a 6 Hour race at Road Atlanta. We started 40th something and chugged our way to the top 20 by the end.

That's cool. Was is a common to swap a slant six into the Gremlin? Was it lighter than the AMC straight 6?

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: Backwoods41695
Here's a quick vid of the truck idling if anyone is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzdQnMXKcy8

Nice running truck! Idles as smooth as a sewing machine.

Thanks! It's definitely a solid runner. It's almost smooth enough to balance a dime on top of the breather. I may eventually upgrade to HEI from the current points ignition which will make it even smoother!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back