Been running RMI-25 Coolant Additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read on this forum about this coolant additive and decided to give it a try on an old 96 Ford Taurus that I use as my back and forth to work car. The car only has 72,000 miles on it as I inherited it from an aunt in 2013 and it had 35,000 miles on it then. About a 2 years ago I noticed that my temperature gauge would move up rather quickly especially when the car was setting still and not moving. Temp would quickly shoot up to the high 220's unless the air condition was on or heater. I did several flushes with different products and installed a new water pump which helped some but I still kept an eye on the temp gauge. I decided to try the RMI-25 the first week of November and from what I can tell it has shown improvement in lowering my temp and that was before the cold weather decided to show up here in Texas. The car is running great and today I was stuck in stop and go traffic for almost 45 mins and my temp gauge never got to the half way point and I did not have to run the heater or air condition at all. Not saying this product was a cure all, but I do think it helped and at least did not cause any harm. I happened to be in Auto Zone on Sunday and they were having a clearance on a coolant additive called Nano MT which I bought as they were on sale for just a $1 so I bought a couple of bottles to try in the future . I know some are not fans of additives and I understand but thought I would share my experience. Thanks

The fact temps drop with the A/C on indicates a possible issue with one of the electric fans or fan controls, sending unit, fuse, relay, etc.
Turning on the A/C triggers the cooling fan/fans on high bypassing the sending unit input. The system varies make and model this is just general info.

Does this Taurus maybe have a head gasket problem? It's either that, or the fan problem.
Or a thermostat.

The temperature shooting up and then requiring either the AC run (to make the other cooling fan run) or heater (to remove some heat) to stabilize would say this, even as OP mentions that several flushes were done and a new water pump was installed. Don't be a parts changer!

Last edited:
Actually we have done 3 head gasket leak test , plus a test of the fans which do come on when the Temp reaches 235 so everyone tries to convince me that this is normal. I have never had the car to overheat , but just seeing the gauge move up has always made me nervous. We replaced the temp sensor , and I will have someone again check the sending unit to the fans as I very much appreciate the suggesting as to what might be the cause. Right now everything is working as it should and the temp is running at around 195 to 202 after it has been driven for a half hour or more. Thanks guys

Originally Posted By: mctmatt
plus a test of the fans which do come on when the Temp reaches 235 so everyone tries to convince me that this is normal.

That sounds high to me. The info I have shows them coming on low speed at 216f and high at 228f. It sounds to me like you may have a defective fan module and they are not coming on low speed which would allow the temp to get that high. If its this one you can probably get one at a bone yard for cheap.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1251892&cc=1138979&jsn=584

Thanks Trav as this information is really going to help as I love driving this older car and especially having zero car payments so anything I can do to make the car last longer and run better I am going to do. I wish I was more knowledgeable when it comes to electrical systems of the car but unfortunately I am very limited in this area. Thanks again.

I know you posted about your experience with a product and that's fine. I cant comment about its performance as I never used it but it doesn't matter.
If it works as well as you say then great, if you fix the root cause then the temps will be even lower and engine longevity extended even further. Look for than module, from looking at an old not so great schematic of the system I would almost bet that's the root cause of the issue.

You can almost find all the help you need on Bitog, just post and ask and someone will give it their best shot.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I know you posted about your experience with a product and that's fine. I cant comment about its performance as I never used it but it doesn't matter.
If it works as well as you say then great, if you fix the root cause then the temps will be even lower and engine longevity extended even further. Look for than module, from looking at an old not so great schematic of the system I would almost bet that's the root cause of the issue.

You can almost find all the help you need on Bitog, just post and ask and someone will give it their best shot.

Thanks Trav this information is going to be a big help and I hope to let you know the results as I think you pinpointed the problem . I hope to get this addressed within the next month or so probably. Will try to let you know the results. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back