Geese moving North in January?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw geese moving North this morning. Not local traffic, but at cruising altitude. Two squadrons, each maybe 75+ birds in each formation. Estimating their height at around 1500 - 2000' msl.

I thought they tended to migrate South in winter.

some utility/neighborhood ponds seem to be warmed in winter...

If they're wrong and freeze, somebody/something will pickup/use the bodies

I wish the U.S. would change the law that does not allow them to be shot. They are very destructive and they wouldj feed a lot of people.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Saw geese moving North this morning. Not local traffic, but at cruising altitude. Two squadrons, each maybe 75+ birds in each formation. Estimating their height at around 1500 - 2000' msl.

I thought they tended to migrate South in winter.
Wouldn't the cold weather down South make them migrate further South? 63 degrees here yesterday.

In general, geese are very able to hang out in the cold country as long as they can find food and open water. The air temp alone is not the determining factor.

Originally Posted By: Al
I wish the U.S. would change the law that does not allow them to be shot. They are very destructive and they wouldj feed a lot of people.

I don't like Canada Geese but no way I'm gonna eat the ones that scrounge in parking lots and drink dirty sewer water LOL.

Very common to see birds going the wrong way, a warm blip in the weather will have them moving north to nearest open water and food source. A lot of ducks and geese will only go far enough south to find open water and feed, no reason to travel farther than necessary.

Canada geese around here, don't migrate. They live in the fresh water marsh behind me. When the marsh freezes, they commute to the salt marsh. At dusk, I hear them overhead heading back to their nests. The main reason geese move in on people is for food. I've seen them darkening the tilled over corn and squash fields. I've sampled Canada and Snow goose. Edible but taste very gamy (DUH) They aren't a problem where I live.

Originally Posted By: Uphill_Both_Ways
Earth's magnetic poles are switching. Run for your lives!

How can I tell which direction to run?!?!?

;^)

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

How can I tell which direction to run?!?!?;^)

Circles! Run in circles!

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

How can I tell which direction to run?!?!?;^)

Circles! Run in circles!

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back