Anyone bought any Denso air filters lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using Denso air filters for the past few years. The ones I have bought in the past were made in USA and looked just like the ones that come from Toyota.

A couple of years ago Denso started making thier OIL filters in China. I am just wondering if they did the same thing with the AIR filtes.

Are current Denso air filters Chinese?

Last edited:
The three Denso air filters that I recently bought from RockAuto for my 2010 Sonata were made in China. They at least look like quality pieces, FWIW.

The Denso "First Time Fit" air filter I bought for my 7.3 IDI diesel from Rock auto is from Thailand.

they are junky Chinese filters, best filter other than OEM would be Purolators which are not made domestically either

Originally Posted By: jrvn
they are junky Chinese filters, best filter other than OEM would be Purolators which are not made domestically either

I ordered a couple yesterday. I will let you guys know how they are.

I used a Purolator a few years ago for my Mazda but I was not impressed with the fit in the air box. The rubber seal going around the filter seemed to be a bit too small. The previous Denso I bought fit perfect. Hopefully the one I just ordered came from the same factory.

A Denso made in china air filter was the OEM in my 2016 Jeep Sahara. The quality looks as good as the AC Delco I replaced it with.

Yes, the Denso air filters are now Chinese
mad.gif

They used to be all OE quality, usually made in USA or Japan. But unfortunately, they decided to get cheap and outsource to China. They also changed the part numbers.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
mad.gif

They used to be all OE quality, usually made in USA or Japan. But unfortunately, they decided to get cheap and outsource to China. They also changed the part numbers.

Just because they are made in China, why assume they have "cheap" construction?

Look around. Majority of electronics, PCs, laptops and TVs are made in China. So are iPhones, and some premium GM automobiles.

The Denso air and oil filters I have purchased lately are good quality.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: knerml
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
mad.gif

Just because they are made in China, why assume they have "cheap" construction?

I've gone away from Denso air filters because they are twice the price here locally I can get a Fram or Mann filter for.

My air filters arrived a couple days ago. Both of them were made in China.

The one for my Highlander looked just like the USA made one, only the markings were different. I could not tell them apart other than the part numbers and markings.

The one for the Protege had a thinner rubber seal going around the filter. This is the same issue I had with the Purolator brand filters for this car. The seal does not give a tight seal. I could actually see fine dust on the inside of the air box when I used the Purolator brand. I was able to remove the rubber seal from the older Denso and stick in on the new Chinese one. The filter elements were the same size, only the gasket thickness was different as was the color of the paper element. The older Denso was a perfect fit.

Here's one I just got delivered from Rockauto today. Made in China. Other than a little excessive foam sealant bleeding onto the paper during the manufacturing process, and the labeling, it appears to be identical to the original Toyota filter and says built to OE standards. For well under half the cost of other filters I'm using Denso from now on.

New Left, Original Right

Last edited:
I just recently began using a few Denso air filters, cabin air filters, spark plug wires, oil filters and their Platinum TT and Iridium TT spark plugs. I am very satisfied with the quality and I can't beat the rock auto prices on them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I just recently began using a few Denso air filters, cabin air filters, spark plug wires, oil filters and their Platinum TT and Iridium TT spark plugs. I am very satisfied with the quality and I can't beat the rock auto prices on them.
My kind of guy there GMBoy.

I always used OEM Toyota air filters for years.
Purchased some Denso first time fit.

They fit just like OEM and look almost identical.
I sliced the filter media on used Denso and OEM Toyota filters.
By eyesight the OEM Toyota filter has Thicker media compared to the Denso.
Maybe the OEM are three layer media....I couldn't tell.

I believe the Denso is great filter. Would use them again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back