Alabama picked for Toyota-Mazda plant, sources say

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
http://www.al.com/business/index.ssf/2018/01/alabama_picked_for_toyota-mazd.html

FROM LINK
"Toyota Motor Corp. and Mazda Motor Corp. announced in August a joint venture to build a $1.6 billion assembly plant in the U.S. which would create 4,000 jobs and be up and running by 2021.

It is projected to produce 300,000 vehicles a year, with half being the Toyota Corolla and the rest an unspecified Mazda model. For some perspective, Alabama's Honda and Hyundai plants both produced more than 320,000 vehicles in 2017."

Originally Posted By: Kira
It pays to win football games.

Hahahaha, good one!

But seriously, how nice to see more manufacturing return to the US with thousands of good paying jobs!

Well, I'd like to see a better Corolla with a bit of Mazda3 thrown in but not too much. Also while still keeping the Corolla reliability and fuss freeness of a Corolla without the idiosyncrasies such as the harsh ride(depend on who you ask) and a quieter cabin.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Not surprised they chose the South to build vehicles.

The skilled workforce is long gone in places that previously built most of the cars.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Those Corollas will likely have Mazda SkyActiv engines. That’s part of the deal between the two.

The best of both manufacturers.

A huge site near me was in the running and has been courting Toyota/Mazda, but lost out to Al. At least they chose to build in the USA and not Mexico.

The Yaris iA is already a Mazda with a Toyota badge.

So the partnership has already been in place for a while.

Both Toyota and Mazda have partnered with others. Mazda with Ford and Kia/Hyundai as I think some Kia models a decade or so ago were based on Mazda bits. And Ford was partnered with Mazda for small trucks, and all sorts of things before Ford bought and later sold their controlling interest in the company.

In some ways, I think Toyota would have been better off to acquire Mazda and make them their Scion like brand. Fun cars aimed at younger drivers and move customers to Toyota and Lexus offerings.

But who am I to argue with Toyota's marketing success?

Let's hope this is a win win win for Mazda, Toyota and consumers/workers.

The municipalities typically get in a bidding war on tax abatement's and once they give the farm away the local residents end up footing the bill for infrastructure, police and fire protection improvements needed due to the new business.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
The Yaris iA is already a Mazda with a Toyota badge.

So the partnership has already been in place for a while.

Both Toyota and Mazda have partnered with others. Mazda with Ford and Kia/Hyundai as I think some Kia models a decade or so ago were based on Mazda bits. And Ford was partnered with Mazda for small trucks, and all sorts of things before Ford bought and later sold their controlling interest in the company.

In some ways, I think Toyota would have been better off to acquire Mazda and make them their Scion like brand. Fun cars aimed at younger drivers and move customers to Toyota and Lexus offerings.

But who am I to argue with Toyota's marketing success?

Let's hope this is a win win win for Mazda, Toyota and consumers/workers.

Toyota also partnered with Subaru on the 86/BRZ/FR-S, but I don't know if they are developing any other vehicles together.
The 2.0l NA engine in the BRZ used the Toyota DI/PFI scheme as a result of this partnership, but the turbo 2.0l in my FXT didn't get it. I think Toyota ended up offering their patent to the industry royalty free...

“In some ways, I think Toyota would have been better off to acquire Mazda and make them their Scion like brand. Fun cars aimed at younger drivers and move customers to Toyota and Lexus offerings.”

Stay tuned. I believe that in over time Toyota will acquire more shares of Mazda. They been swallowing up the other companies as well. Subaru, Daihatsu, Hino among others.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Hahahaha, good one!

But seriously, how nice to see more manufacturing return to the US with thousands of good paying jobs!

The only people leaving are America owned businesses and car makers. The Asians and Europeans are the ones introducing new manufacturing to the United States. Pretty much all the Japanese makers and decent amount of Korean has US production. Ford, GM Chrysler look to moving it out but maybe that will flip.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Hahahaha, good one!

The only people leaving are America owned businesses and car makers. The Asians and Europeans are the ones introducing new manufacturing to the United States. Pretty much all the Japanese makers and decent amount of Korean has US production. Ford, GM Chrysler look to moving it out but maybe that will flip.

Yep. I compare that train of thought to yesterday’s thread on the Buick Envision which is made in China with 98% Chinese parts. Not only do the Japanese and others manufacture the vehicles in the US, their suppliers also set up plants here as well.

I can not consider , knowingly , buying a car made in China . The Chinese government is a potential enemy of the good old USA . We should do nothing to benefit China . Same with any country that opposes us .

You can call me an old fuddy duddy ot cold warrior . I donot mind . I grew up during the " duck & cover " days .

The American companies concentrate on the next quarter in their planning.

The Japanese companies concentrate on the next decade in their planning.

Toyota may not always be number one or two in sales count but they could buy several of their competitors out of their petty cash drawer.

Some of their competitors are running scared at shareholder meetings while trying to stay a step ahead of the bill collectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back