Any real difference between 0W-20 synthetics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2012 Toyota Corolla, I drive about 8,500 miles a year. Lots of short trips with some highway on the weekends. In my situation should I just go with whatever is on sale in that grade?

Any quality synthetic 0w20 will do fine in your Corolla
smile.gif

M1 EP 0w20 is apparently PAO. Might make no difference but can't hurt to use an oil designed for 15k miles for only a few $ more.

If price shopping, I personally wouldn't drop down to a semi syn 0w20.

There are some real differences.
Whether they matter to you or not is another question.
You don't live in a really cold climate, so performance in extreme cold doesn't matter.
You have a very undemanding engine, so finding the best of the best in wear performance and cleanliness doesn't matter.
In short, with your ride in your climate, I'd use whatever.
Most of us have done that for years with good results and no problems to report.

we have been running syn blend 0w20 not full syn in my sisters 2011 corolla. Most of her drivetime is idling in traffic anyway. haha
dump out once a year since she doesn't get anywhere close to 10k OCI and the car is happy and running great. Any full syn will work for you.

I sure there are differences . Can they be realized probably not . Todays majors put out great oils.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer
M1 EP 0w20 is apparently PAO. Might make no difference but can't hurt to use an oil designed for 15k miles for only a few $ more.

If price shopping, I personally wouldn't drop down to a semi syn 0w20.

I have Mobil 0w-20 extended in there right now. Valvoline Synpower was a little cheaper, thought about trying it next time.

Originally Posted By: Insertcoolname
we have been running syn blend 0w20 (not full syn) in my sisters 2011 corolla...
dump out once a year since she doesn't get anywhere close to 10k OCI and the car is happy and running great.

I think ANY 0W-20 or 5W-20 will do what you want for 1-year OCI's.

I don't think synthetic is necessary, really

Originally Posted By: Corollaman
I have Mobil 0w-20 extended in there right now. Valvoline Synpower was a little cheaper, thought about trying it next time.

I'd just get the SynPower, very good stuff. Unless you don't mind dealing with mail in rebates in your spare time then the M1 would be cheaper.

I find car is quieter on Pennz Ultra 0w20 and M1 AFE 0w20. Others I've used, Edge Gold 5w20, TGMO 0w20, PP 0w20. Most oils will work fine. M1 EP is a good consideration for a 1 year OCI with a good filter like a Fram Ultra or Napa Gold.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

I'd just get the SynPower, very good stuff. Unless you don't mind dealing with mail in rebates in your spare time then the M1 would be cheaper.

I have SynPower in my Camry now. Walmart didn't have much selection of 0W20. Syn Power was all they had. Only had one jug of ST 10W40HM for my Rav4. Guess they sold a lot over Xmas.

As far as I know, 0w20 has more PAO, 5w20 can be found in synthetic and semi-synthetic flavors. Both options are top notch. Will I run an oil till 7k? no. I would just change it every 4 months if I was in your case.
Use Any from the big brands. If anything, use what your dealer uses or Toyota sales and keep receipts until warranty runs out.

2012 Toyota Corolla, I drive about 8,500 miles a year. Lots of short trips with some highway on the weekends. In my situation should I just go with whatever is on sale in that grade?

How many miles on your current oil?

Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
As far as I know, 0w20 has more PAO, 5w20 can be found in synthetic and semi-synthetic flavors. Both options are top notch. Will I run an oil till 7k? no. I would just change it every 4 months if I was in your case.
Use Any from the big brands. If anything, use what your dealer uses or Toyota sales and keep receipts until warranty runs out.

So you recommend he changes oil every less than 3000 miles? Absolute waste of oil. For him, twice a year is overkill.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

How many miles on your current oil?

I currently have 6,000 miles on the oil. I changed it last April and will change it again this April which should put me in the 8,000 mile range for the 1 year OCI with Mobil one extended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back