Roll pin punch recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm planning to change the backstrap in one of my pistols which requires taking out a roll pin.

Is there a particular type of punches and brand(s) that anyone can recommend?

Thanks

I took my M&P apart to drop in a trigger job. I know I had to punch out the roll pins don't remember what I used. Think it was the M&P tool that is integral to the pistol. Good tip I found on the internet was to put the pistol on a roll of tape to tap out the pins. Worked great and no lost pins.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Brownells.

Better get an installer too...

Is there an installer for roll pin? I was just thinking of punch it back in.

Originally Posted By: Planb
Look up Gray tools... Made in Ontario. Support local.

I'm not sure what Gray makes and what they rebrand outside of their sockets and ratchets. Their punch set is probably rebranded mayhew or something, so why bother. From what I can tell they offer industrial tools at truck prices, at least if you are paying full retail.

Originally Posted By: fields
How about brass?

That's what I used. Just a cheap brass punch set.

If you go with a brass set, you are far less likely to damage the pin, or the frame of the weapon. Brass is softer than steel. Better to risk damaging a cheap, replaceable punch, than the frame of your expensive gun.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/193087/grace-usa-roll-pin-punch-set-8-piece-brass?utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Gunsmithing+-+Tools%2C+Jigs+%26+Fixtures&utm_content=193087&cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-Gunsmithing+-+Tools%2C+Jigs+%26+Fixtures-_-Grace-_-193087&gclid=Cj0KCQiAkNfSBRCSARIsAL-u3X_K4llimVIzCWdOEATJSX_bguEjYJPvvDiyo39cLcjaxB2kc0hRrUMaAm5QEALw_wcB

I’ve got both but use the brass about 99% of the time...using the proper size is important. Using brass lowers the risk...

Last edited:
Is it right to assume the roll pin has a finite number of repetitions going in and out of the frame?

I'm asking because I just bought a VP9 (SFP9 outside of US) and I'd like to experiment with the different sizes of side panels and backstrap.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
There are cheap Chinese punches that are made of metal that is too soft. Stay with one of the main brands.

Most all tools start life as soft steel. The difference is that quality tools are properly heat treated as part of the manufacturing process. The other problem with the cheap Chinese punches is the nose bumps are not centered very well on the smaller sizes which are the ones we usually need for gun-smithing. I find myself using an arbor press and reamer blanks more than a hammer and punch for roll pins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back