Any weight lifters out there?

Worked out with weights most of my life. Currently work out at Planet Fitness. I was curious what supplements if any you use. I use:
Androfury pre workout
Creatine
NytroWhey Ultra Protein
Myozene post workout Protein

Last edited:
I started lifting around age 13. Went hardcore in high school,was on the weightlifting team,and have remained active in bodybuilding still,at age 48. The only supplement I use is whey protein. I make sure to eat a lot of red meat,eggs every day,and drink about a gallon of whole milk a day. No supplements will ever touch what those foods will give you. I also take two different kinds of multi vitamins a day.

I'm off and on. Just started back on. Not taking any supplements currently but usually take whey protein. Have taken the good micronized creatine in the past but didn't seem to do anything for me.

Coffee makes me hyper, no pre work out stuff for me.

Have gym in my basement.

Creatine in some athletes can end it major muscles tears even complete bi-sections. Most tolerate it well.

Originally Posted By: Koz1
Creatine in some athletes can end it major muscles tears even complete bi-sections.

I have a PhD in biomechanics and have done some contract work for supplement companies (pre-workouts) and published a number of reserach studies on supplements. That said, I know the ins and outs of creatine pretty well. There is no mechanism behind how creatine works, nor any reported instances, where the quoted statement above has been shown to be true.

There are a lot of misconceptions about creatine, even today after 25 years of it being very popular and widely used. It is the most researched supplement, by far. The only side effect that can be considered negative is weight gain due to water retention in muscles.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Worked out with weights most of my life. Currently work out at Planet Fitness. I was curious what supplements if any you use. I use:
Androfury pre workout
Creatine
NytroWhey Ultra Protein
Myozene post workout Protein

I'm sorry that you go to Planet Fitness.

I incorporate heavy weights into my workout routine, but no longer do just weights.

Haven't done supplements in a while since most taste cloyingly sweet. I'd rather save the calories and eat another steak or chicken breast. LOL.

Now, pre workout drinks are something else. They work amazingly well but are also addicting. The times you don't use them, you feel like your workout was weak and feeble.

Lately I have been doing mostly body-weight exercises and find them challenging enough. Best part is you can't ever really get too strong for your own weight so it's always a good option.

pre workout with creatine, gallon of water, low carb isolate whey with unsweetened almond milk.

Benched 200 pounds for the first time in my life last week.

Goal is to bench my weight which is 210.

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
Creatine in some athletes can end it major muscles tears even complete bi-sections.

I have a PhD in biomechanics and have done some contract work for supplement companies (pre-workouts) and published a number of reserach studies on supplements. That said, I know the ins and outs of creatine pretty well. There is no mechanism behind how creatine works, nor any reported instances, where the quoted statement above has been shown to be true.

There are a lot of misconceptions about creatine, even today after 25 years of it being very popular and widely used. It is the most researched supplement, by far. The only side effect that can be considered negative is weight gain due to water retention in muscles.

That is cool, a expert!

P.S, I love PF!

Met-Rx Meal Replacement bar after workout, Chocochip cookie dough recipe ONLY. 28 grams of decent protein. Followed with a KIND bar if want something else. At least 16 oz of water with the Met-Rx MRP since they're super dense and concentrated. One a Day 'Men Over 50' formula multi-vitamin and mineral + a magnesium malate tablet in the a.m. after a complete breakfast.

I have lifted since age 17. 54 now.

I get resistance training at least three days a week and cardio (indoor bike and HIIT training on a bike) another three days most weeks.

Resistance training helps keep the arthritis in my shoulder at bay. No more pull ups or Cross Fit/Boot Camp type training until there is some fix for the shoulder.

I eat food. My body turns it into useful tissues. No need for supplements.

My Dr does have me on 5000iu of Vitamin D3 and 1000mg of Fish Oil daily. But no pre-workout or protein supplements.

Originally Posted By: wallyuwl

^ This. Used Creatine back in the very early 2000's, when my routine was skewed towards heavy lifting vs cardio. I personally saw no real benefits, and water retention is very real....

Originally Posted By: Bud
Does lifting my weight out of my recliner count?

If ya weight 600 pounds....
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Bud
Does lifting my weight out of my recliner count?

If you help Mrs. Bud to clean by lifting the recliner....

Highly recommended Dymatize Elite Whey or Fighter Diet Whey the FD being the best but pricey.
Xtend for BCAA or the Extend GO BCAA made by Scivation.

I've been playing with plates and machines since highschool!
crazy.gif

BioScience joint support

Fish oil

Vasogorge for bloodflow before weight training

I will say this,there are ALOT of junk preworkout powders on the market. If they do not help increase bloodflow,your wasting $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Back around 200 or so, Bill Phillips (?...) who was tied to EAS supplement/nutrition company published a book called Supplement Review or whatever. Had a copy of it. Basically it could have been a shill for EAS, guess it was, but it purported to lay bare the difference between label claims of protein and other content per serving vs actual lab tested content.

Sort of like what PQIA does with motor oil.

Of course the spin was "buy EAS supplements because what's shown on the label nutritional panel is accurate..." Was an interesting reference book, if it could be believed. I do think the point it was trying to make was valid, and that was that a *lot* of supplements were not containing the grams of protein or other nutrients that the label breakdown showed, sometimes only about half.

I am a weight lifter and vegan. So it's cooked legumes for me, I don't use any supplements. There was a time when I wasn't plan based and even though I looked to be in good shape, amy blood test showed I was a high risk for heart attack and stroke. I had to immediately change my nutrition approach and switch to plant based diet.

Given how much better I feel with this way of nutrition, I can't believe I was afraid of protein deficiency before changing.

Back