Rotella T4 is JASO MA/MA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure how I missed this, might even have been posted here this year, but Shell Rotella T4 15W40 bears JASO MA/MA2 among the list of standards met on the label. And gotta love those Calcium, Phos, Zinc, and Boron numbers.
smile.gif
Is oil this a GTL base?

PQIA's VOA from April 19, 2017:

http://pqiadata.org/Shell_Rotella_T4_15W40_4192017.html

ShellRotellaT415W40CK4Back.png

With NOACK of 11.7%, I would think it's not GTL, nor is it a synthetic blend, but it's nice to see a Big Three HDEO WITHOUT the SN rating, and accompanying low ZDDP & TBN (along with Delo 400 LE). When my stash of T5 & Mystik JT-8 10W30 runs out, I'll be on the hunt for a good deal on T4 10W30.

I use it too in my teryx, but i wonder why they dont send it in for testing and cert for JASO?

Here is a recent oil list of 1102 oils that have met JASO if u get bored.
http://www.jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/4T_EV_LIST.pdf

I have seen VOAs of Kawi, Honda and Yamaha oils and dont see what is so special about them vs Rotellas generous add pack.

My guess is that any 10w40 would pass a JASO test.

This is what I use in my Triumph Tiger that has a tendency to just shred synthetic oils (T6 5W40 didn't make it beyond 800 miles). I will have a UOA done on the T4 and then can compare the numbers.

indeed it is my go to oil for my bikes and my dads/brothers bikes.

I use it occasionally in my 4-wheelers but i generally use the 5w40 because the 4-wheelers get used year round

I believe T4 (or just Rotella T) has been MA/MA2 rated for a while. T6 full syn 5w40 is, as well - my brother in law put it in his '78 GS750 when he got it about 6 months ago and is pleased so far.

Yes Rotella T4 15W40 is JASO MA/MA2 rated, plus it has good Zinc at 1200 ppm and Boron at 200 ppm.

The Noack at 11.7 % and TBN at 10.3 on a Calcium detergent package (2300 ppm) looks fine to me.

It's not SN but it is API CK-4 and ACEA E9. It looks like a fine bike oil to me.

I've been using rotella in my bikes since the 90s. Started using it when the local drag racers told me that's what they ran in their bikes.

I don't own a bike, but the CBR600F3 I brought back from the dead is running Rotella T4 and the owner has told me it's never ran or shifted better.

I run T6 in my '06 Hustler ZTR mower, Honda push mower, generator, power washer, '13 Honda Rancher, 03 Honda Foreman, '18 Honda TRX90 and '17 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 SxS. Zero oil related problems! It is great stuff.

Last edited:
thing with todays "synthetics" they are better but just group III CRUDE oils, that are only "synthetic" since 1999!!!

Originally Posted By: benjy
thing with todays "synthetics" they are better but just might be group III CRUDE oils, that are only "synthetic" since 1999!!!

I fixed that for you.

"Synthetic" doesn't automatically mean it is group III based oil. It certainly might be, but there are still group IV and V based oils too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back