Buying a car from faraway, negotiating price

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I'm looking to buy a used, newer year stick shift BMW with xDrive. Unfortunately for me, I would like to get an X5 but the only ones that were sold in the US seem to have been 3-series. Even more unfortunately, there is a very sparse selection that are 450+ miles away from me.

Are dealers willing to negotiate the price, etc. over long distance? How is the consideration deposited so that they hold the car for me to get there, inspect and close the deal?

I would like some feedback from BITOGers who have done this successfully.

Thanks.

In my experience, some dealers/private owners can and/or will keep your deposit after several business days, usually 3 days(find out how many)if you decide to back out.

I have purchased(contingent) from out of town and would accept the vehicle upon inspection when I arrived. I was fortunate that the vehicles that I purchased were not misrepresented.

Our oldest boy had a Beemer . He found a local independent mechanic to take care of it ( [censored] opposed to the BMW dealer ) .

He reached a point , when he took it in that the mechanic recommended he trade it in , rather than do the necessary repairs .

He traded it in for a smaller Lincoln .

So , were it me , I would run from a used Beemer .

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
So, I'm looking to buy a used, newer year stick shift BMW with xDrive. Unfortunately for me, I would like to get an X5 but the only ones that were sold in the US seem to have been 3-series.

Isn't the 2-series available with a stick as well?

Have you actually driven a newer 3-series manual? I havent, but from all i have read, it's not that great. All the nannies, CDV, and rev hang detract from the experience. As much as I am diehard stick fan (my 530i is stick), if I was to get a new BMW, I think I'd be leaning toward auto. BMW's trans programming is top notch.

Anyway, sorry about a little OT.

As far as buying long distance, before you even begin price negotiations, go on a bmw forum and ask members about reputable euro repair shops in the area. Then contact the shop and ask them to do a PPI. Based on the results of PPI, you can then negotiate the price down.

There are also dedicated nationwide companies specializing in PPI, but I dont know how well they know BMWs.

My friend does this as he has no time to purchase cars. His line of work negotiation though is what he is an expert at.

He purchases though with lower demand vehicles like a R300 (MB Minivan diesel) or Audi and BMW with manuals. He normally hires a company or local shop to review car and inspect before committing. He gets a decent price IMHO and it includes delivery to his door step from places like New Mexico and Florida to NH.

I’ve bought a car long distance before, negotiate via email or phone but make sure you get an email with the final agreement or estimates for the out the door sum, price plus any taxes and fees. in my case they took a $500 deposit on the phone with credit card and then i paid the remainder when i picked up the car.

Only thing you can do is try. You're not in the best negotiating position, wanting a specific, low volume car and buying used from hundreds of miles away.

Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
Our oldest boy had a Beemer . He found a local independent mechanic to take care of it ( [censored] opposed to the BMW dealer ) .

He reached a point , when he took it in that the mechanic recommended he trade it in , rather than do the necessary repairs .

He traded it in for a smaller Lincoln .

So , were it me , I would run from a used Beemer .

What type of motorcycle was it? The OP is looking at cars...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
So, I'm looking to buy a used, newer year stick shift BMW with xDrive. Unfortunately for me, I would like to get an X5 but the only ones that were sold in the US seem to have been 3-series.

Isn't the 2-series available with a stick as well?

Have you actually driven a newer 3-series manual? I havent, but from all i have read, it's not that great. All the nannies, CDV, and rev hang detract from the experience. As much as I am diehard stick fan (my 530i is stick), if I was to get a new BMW, I think I'd be leaning toward auto. BMW's trans programming is top notch.

Anyway, sorry about a little OT.

I drove a manual 340i with a raft of M Performance accessories and I thought the car drove very well; I was prepared to dislike it but I was pleasantly surprised.

I'm not inclined to run away from a BMW as I already own one.

Hey! Always listen to the BMW expert who hasn't owned one.
Ditto for anyone who traded a BMW for a Lincoln. Ugh.

In 1992 I bought my E24 M6 from a dealer in Memphis, but I had driven the car and only the negotiations were long distance. When I worked at a dealer we did a lot of long distance deals, the only time we wanted money up front was for a special order or a dealer trade(rare, but it happens). As others have said, just get the hard numbers in writing.

My Sonata was in Tucson, around 100 miles away. I sent an email asking for the OTD cost and they sent me it in a PDF, I was happy with it (no added fees like tint, paint protection, oil change package etc) so I emailed back that I’d be there in the morning.

Quote:
How is the consideration deposited so that they hold the car for me to get there, inspect and close the deal?

Until you actually buy it, you are a "maybe" in the eyes of any salesman. Keep in mind that they will tell you they will hold a vehicle for you but if someone else comes in before you and wants it, they will sell it out from under you and not blink twice.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro

Until you actually buy it, you are a "maybe" in the eyes of any salesman. Keep in mind that they will tell you they will hold a vehicle for you but if someone else comes in before you and wants it, they will sell it out from under you and not blink twice.

Yes, unless you give the dealer a deposit. One time I took an up and the customer decided to buy immediately after the test drive. Another salesperson had a customer coming in to look at the same car and he arrived just as we got back from the test drive. The other customer was tweaked because the car was sold, but he didn't have a deposit on it so it was first come first served...

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: Hootbro

Yes, unless you give the dealer a deposit. One time I took an up and the customer decided to buy immediately after the test drive. Another salesperson had a customer coming in to look at the same car and he arrived just as we got back from the test drive. The other customer was tweaked because the car was sold, but he didn't have a deposit on it so it was first come first served...

Yup, I did that once on a 92 Corolla. It appeared online on a Friday evening. Was about a grand cheaper than it should have been. I set up the earliest time the seller was available, then arrived 20 minutes early. When the seller came out, we went on a quick test drive and as we were arriving back at his home, the next prospective buyer was waiting for us. Since we had already agreed on a price, the next prospect's time was wasted...oh well
smirk.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back