Motorcycle Insurance Best Rates?

Status
Not open for further replies.
GEICO jacked me up bad since last yr's crash, annual premium almost doubled. Hike expected, but doubling the rate? Granted, with totaling out the Ducati plus maxing the medical payments portion of the policy, they got tapped for about $25,000 last yr on me. So I guess they want their money back, LoL !!

Do any good to shop the rate or am I pretty much stained by the crash as far as all insurers will up rate just as much as GEICO did?

GEICO basically doubled the annual premium, was $389 now $747.

It wouldn't hurt to get some quotes from other companies, just to see if Geico is in the ballpark.

The last time I had motorcycle insurance, it was with Progressive, but it was in a different state, different bike, so not really comparable.

Call Dan on 832 364 6630...he insures a lot of motorcycles and 3 wheelers. He has done well by my for last couple years since I had a situation like your. He prices 4 diff major companies and will call you with the best offer. He's in TX and can insure in almost any state. A one man operation I believe and will talk with you personally. I get nothing out of this and am not involved in any way other than, for me, it beats heck out of trying to deal separately with many insurance co's.

Do any good to shop the rate or am I pretty much stained by the crash as far as all insurers will up rate just as much as GEICO did?

^^ Sadly, this is the way the insurance industry works. You effectively have a scarlet letter pinned on you for the next several years, and not just for your motorcycle insurance. Your automobile insurance will most likely rise as well. It's the 'honor among thieves' syndrome.

Last edited:
Hopefully... eventually... it will work its way back down.

Problem is, it might not... despite who you decide to go with.

I had been with MetLife with my Goldwing for over 10 years, and they eventually worked my motorcycle policy premium up to $514 a year in early 2017, due to one minor claim on my pickup in 2011, where I was at fault. So that might give you an idea as to how long they may haunt you on this.

I had been tolerant of their increases, but once they went above $500 a year, I was done.

My agent is an independent, and she shopped it around and got me on with Progressive for $290 a year, same coverage.

I should be seeing policy renewal paperwork in the next 90 days from Progressive, we'll see what it looks like.

As soon as I get a new roof on my house (likely in the next 6 months), I will be moving the house and truck away from MetLife as well.

I've been with Dairyland since 1986 (almost 32 years!)

Never had an accident.. they charge me $59 for 12 mos.

I have State Farm insure everything I own including my 17 motorcycles. The great thing about them is they charge by engine displacement, they don't care if it's a cruiser, supersport, ext. My most expensive bike to insure is one with 1224cc displacement at $127 a year. My 50cc Yamaha Zuma is around $8 a year.

I pay about $700 for two motorcycles with Progressive, even with high coverage limits, agreed-value coverage, and Michigan's catastrophic claims fees. I would expect any insurance company's loss history on Ducati motorcycles to be significant.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1foxracing
I have State Farm insure everything I own including my 17 motorcycles. The great thing about them is they charge by engine displacement, they don't care if it's a cruiser, supersport, ext. My most expensive bike to insure is one with 1224cc displacement at $127 a year. My 50cc Yamaha Zuma is around $8 a year.

+1 for Statefarm

I have had Progressive for many years. Luckily, no accidents, so can't speak to how they'd handle that, but their price was by far the best when I originally purchased, and have been very reasonable since, so I haven't shopped around much.

I call around every time my Motorcycle insurance premiums come due. Geico and Progressive are always the most expensive quotes for me. Having been a Moderator on a high performance Sportbike website in the past, this was a common topic. The best rates vary by insurance company, location, and even the agent.

So, my advice is to call around.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
I've been with Dairyland since 1986 (almost 32 years!)

Never had an accident.. they charge me $59 for 12 mos.

Just ran an apples-to-apples online quote with Dairyland matching policy limits to what I have with GEICO. $287 less and that is including the at-fault accident last year. I don't feel like it was my fault, there was really no time to react to the corrupted road condition but oh well... one vehicle wrecks always are considered at-fault. Going to check Progressive and a few others. Dairyland's site lets you save the quote for later so you don't have to re-enter everything.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
GEICO jacked me up bad since last yr's crash, annual premium almost doubled. Hike expected, but doubling the rate? Granted, with totaling out the Ducati plus maxing the medical payments portion of the policy, they got tapped for about $25,000 last yr on me. So I guess they want their money back, LoL !!

GEICO basically doubled the annual premium, was $389 now $747.

One word = Merkle

Click here right now and save on your motorcycle insurance for the rest of your life

With the above said, not sure how your accident will play out and honestly only switched to this company last year, best rate I ever had and I always have good rates but I NEVER stop checking companies and I am loyal to NO ONE.

ALL companies will screw you if you are faithful to them, its called rate creep, as much as you think you are getting all those discounts, its all [censored] and everyone should get insurance quotes every two years.

Like buying something on Sale in Macys, the only sale is a made up "List Price" and discounted from there.

Last edited:
Progressive just came in @ $884 apples to apples policy limits. Wow, they are one expensive insurer !! Literally about DOUBLE what Dairyland quoted.

Much of the insurance premium is going to be based on the amount of coverage you want and how you structure it. If you want nothing out of pocket, but high coverage limits, you'll pay out the ying-yang. Raise your deductible to $500 or even $1,000 and watch the premiums drop. Another major factor is whether there is medical payment coverage. Progressive has up to $50,000.00 medical coverage for when the text messaging Dodo hits you.

Insurance - it's a racket, but it's nice to have when you need it.

Went with Markel. Policy effective yesterday, GEICO expires today.
smile.gif

Congrats, glad it worked out for you ... I swap around insurance companies like some people buy lottery tickets *L*

The winner is on my house, in 11 years I had to have changed 5 or more times, I cant even keep track, cars maybe 4 times in 11 years, bike 2 or 3 times in the last 4 years.
Internet makes it so easy to do, many times I will switch even before the policy is up, if I happen to run across something really good, as the current company has to refund the difference.
Dont misunderstand, Im loyal as long as they give me the best price but they are in business to make the most money, every company has a formula on how they increase their profits per customer once they have you as a customer.

Last edited:
I've also seen rate-creep occur with some companies that are mentioned in this thread, but it doesn't always happen--case in point: I recently upgraded my pickup truck from a 2015 Ram Express 4X4 with a 3.6L six cylinder engine to a NEW 2017 Ram Big Horn package (many, many more options) 4X4 with 5.7L Hemi V8 engine. I contacted GEICO and transferred the coverage on the 2015 to the 2017--same exact coverage, same deductibles etc.

Imagine my surprise when the customer service rep told me that I'd be getting a modest refund on my premium because the newer truck is cheaper to insure. The newer truck has a sticker price of about $12,000 higher than the 2015. Go figure!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back