Honda ACEA spec?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwa

I've heard that Honda is making a single Civic platform for global sale now, and I assume that means the same 1.5L turbo engine. Does anyone know what their oil recommendation is in Europe? ACEA A1/B1? 0w-20?

In the US, they recommend API certified 0w-20, just wondering what they say elsewhere. Haven't found anything in my search yet.

Especially in your temp a Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 that's HTO-6 spec would be perfect. I imagine its close or similar in EU. If you stayed with 0w20 run Redline for bulletproof durability if money isn't a issue.

Hmm, interesting. I noticed Motul 0w-20 Eco-Lite is both API SN, ACEA A1/B1, and Dexos gen2 certified, so I thought that might be a good choice. Redline is a candidate also though.

Temps here in North AL vary pretty widely. Last week, overnight lows were in single digits. In summer, it regularly gets over 100.

For warranty purposes i'd probably be more comfortable with a strong 0w-20 than moving to a 0/5w-30, not that it would probably make a difference.

.....but 'current' A1B1-12 may be marketed until Dec 1, 2018 though.
blush.gif

Last edited:
Castro Edge Extended Performance (Gold bottle) is A1/B1, SN GF-5, and HTO-06.

Originally Posted By: Garak
A1/B1 is discontinued as of the 2016 ACEA sequences.

Thanks, I didn't know this.

I haven't seen any 0w-20s yet that are A5/B5, they always seem to fall under A1/B1. My search hasn't been exhaustive though.

Is A1/B1 being replaced by something, or just be superceded by A5/B5?

That's a very good question as to what's going to happen with the 0w-20 grade in the ACEA regime, given that A5/B5's minimum HTHS excludes the customary 0w-20 grades we see. Within the 30 grades, however, A5/B5 is "above" A1/B1, and anything A5/B5 would also be A1/B1.

It might work, though, in practice. At least when SN/GF-5 rolled out, some of our PCMOs in North America weren't exactly providing stellar initial TBN. In SN/GF-5, too, you can see SA all over the map, well, within reason, but certainly above and below C5 limits. Looking at the C5 sequences, I don't see anything particularly troublesome (from a regulatory perspective; I can't say anything about the formulation challenges) to having a 0w-20 in C5 and SN/GF-5. Phosphorus ranges in the sequences would fit SN/GF-5. Sulfur limits seem attainable. Similarly, C2 could work with 5w-30 options that aren't up to A5/B5, I suppose.

However, at least their are ACEA rated 30 grades around. I wouldn't want to see the 20s orphaned this way, and the way things are going in North America, we'd rather see things tightened up with the 20 grades, rather than just relying on a dexos1 specification to save the day.

True enough, but there is a general shift towards lower SAPS numbers, especially in Europe for non performance applications.

All of VW (504/507 = 0.6) and GM (DEXOS2 = 0.8) in Europe use mid or low saps oils.

Regards
Jordan

There were plenty of oils at the SN/GF-5 rollout here that would have wound up meeting mid-SAPS guidelines, as I alluded to already. I suppose 10,000 mile OCIs with North American gasoline and a C5 oil might require a bit of caution, but then again, maybe not. Something like Petro-Canada Supreme Synthetic 0w-30 SN/GF-5 already has an SA of 0.83, the lowest of their range, with the dexos1 gen 2 varieties, 0w-20 and 5w-30, being at 0.94, with TBN of 7.1 and 8.0 respectively.

I can't see anything jumping out at me as insurmountable, unless, of course, dexos1 has an SA requirement that is mutually exclusive to that of C5. SN/GF-5 itself doesn't seem to have any issues.

Originally Posted By: zeng
Not really, for it's mid SaPS vs high SaPS other than differing Hths.

A1/B1 can be low SAPS, there is no minimum. TBN requirements are different however

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back