Race Fuel In 1978 Honda XL75???

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a super clean '78 Honda XL75 Enduro bike that's in really great cosmetic and mechanical shape. We just have fun on it around the farm and beat around the property with it. I use Amsoil Metric Motorcycle 10W-40 in it, changed annually. Has a Uni air filter, Moose plug (step hotter) but is otherwise stock. My wife and I love drag racing however, and I've really missed the smell of race gas. So on a whim I bought two gallons of Cam2 110 Leaded to dump in either the bike or my '47 Ford Tractor to make good smells until the winter is over. I realize this is juvenile behavior....
eek.gif
My question is;
Will the leaded gas harm the Honda 75 in any way? Load up the silencer, deposits, etc? I have a feeling the 110 leaded will be better for the carb, being it has no ethanol. And will 110 make it sluggish? The bike still has a full tank of regular gas with MMO added to it to burn out before I dump the Cam2 in. If anyone thinks or knows of a reason not to use it in the Honda, I'll just dump it in the tractor and make the Ford smell good! The Ford will eat anything you throw at it!
grin.gif

Pics for posterity:

2cgk1mb.jpg

2zguutj.jpg

Last edited:
I've been around airports most all my life..... everything with a spark plug near an airport usually gets a good dose of AvGas on a regular basis.

Yeah, there will be a little more carbon & whatnot, but you won't kill it.

I often run some race gas when I can get it - for a bike that sits a few months between use, they start up first time.

Nice looking bike!

I put a 50 or 70% mix (can't remember which) of E-free 89 and VP110 leaded racing fuel in my CL175, and it ran like crazy - would actually hit redline. However, examining the combustion chambers after running a tank of it I saw some non-typical deposits forming that made me wonder if it was the lead in the fuel. Not sure either way, just my personal experience. But these little bikes really like octane.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
first off a honda xl, regardless of displacement, was NEVER and enduro bike.
it was at best called a dual sport, but that just ment it did neither off road nor on road very well.
the xr line was the "enduro" version and some crazed guy name scott summers rode one very well.

any fuel and oil will work in that bike. while looking in great condition is is well past its prime.
what it truely needs is the forks and shocks rebuilt with fresh oil. i bet the shocks inside are more like runny jello and the forks more like tar

Originally Posted By: sunruh
while looking in great condition is is well past its prime.
what it truely needs is the forks and shocks rebuilt with fresh oil. i bet the shocks inside are more like runny jello and the forks more like tar

You can see the oil running down the front forks in that pic??? Wow you have good eyes! Yep you're right, the fronts are definitely sloppy and mushy and leaking. It's on the list of things to do.

I love the smell of race gas in everything... but my favorite smell will always be Turbo Blue 108 mixed with Maxima 927 at 40:1. I'm getting warm and fuzzy just thinking about it.

Very cool looking bike.

In the timeframe the bike was built, leaded and unleaded fuel was still commonly available. Unless there's some sticker on the bike saying not to, I'd expect the motorcycle to work just fine.

For a real olfactory treat, I miss the smell of castor oil in a 2 stroke. But having just gone to the Historic Sports Car Races and Roar Before the 24 here in Daytona, I know what you mean about the smell of engines running on race gas.

OTOH, I'm NOT a fan of the smell of burnt Nitromethane. Nitric Acid is a byproduct, and boy does that sting after a while.

Wife and I go to the US Nationals every year. Can't hear or smell anything for a week after! That Nitro is no joke. Puts grown men in tears.

Originally Posted By: 69Torino
Wife and I go to the US Nationals every year. Can't hear or smell anything for a week after! That Nitro is no joke. Puts grown men in tears.

You’re right, being in the pits when they fire up the fuel cars will take your breath away and make your eyes water!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back