2017 Ram 1500 Hemi oil filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a new 2017 Ram 1500 Hemi 5.7 4x4.

Going to use a Fram XG10060 oil filter on it with Full Syn 5W20.

I’ve run Fram XG on past trucks with no issues, should not have any with the new Ram, correct?

And should not have any warranty issues running Fram, correct?

Originally Posted By: WillB
Just bought a new 2017 Ram 1500 Hemi 5.7 4x4.

Going to use a Fram XG10060 oil filter on it with Full Syn 5W20.

I’ve run Fram XG on past trucks with no issues, should not have any with the new Ram, correct?

And should not have any warranty issues running Fram, correct?

Congrats on the new truck. If it's your first Ram, you are going to love it. I came from a rattlebox, gutless 09 5.3 Sierra and haven't looked back since.

You will be fine with that combo, depending on your OCI's? I am on a once a year OC and run PUP or PP 5W-20 with Carquest premium filter as I am around 8, 10,000 km's, maybe a touch more, mileage per year.

I recently just purchased 2 Tough guards (TG-2, IIRC?) as I plan on starting to use them come the spring based on some not so good info, (Which may not be true?) about those CQ filters. The TG's are currently on sale for $9.99 at CDN Tire and can handle more mileage than a XG, and are designed for synthetic oil as well. Also, in case, for whatever reason, I don't get around to changing my oil on time, it will be nice knowing I can get away with it running the TG.

Extra guard.

FRAM EXTRA GUARD®
OIL FILTER
OVERVIEW TECHNOLOGY
Engineered for Conventional Motor Oil
Cellulose and Glass blended media provides protection for oil change intervals up to 5,000 miles1
95% filtration efficiency2

Tough Guard:
FRAM TOUGH GUARD®
OIL FILTER
OVERVIEW TECHNOLOGY
Engineered for Premium Conventional and Synthetic Blend Motor Oil
Synthetic-Blend filter media technology provides protection for oil change intervals up to 10,000 miles1
99% filtration efficiency2

Last edited:
Congrats for your purchase
smile.gif

Thanks for the replies. Yes, my first Ram and absolutely love it, won’t be going back to GM.

Ram went to the smaller filter for MY 13 to avoid clearance issues with the EPS rack.

I will be sticking with 6,500 km OCI and usually grab the Fram Ultra XG10060 when on sale at CDN Tire.

Last edited:
Ram went to the smaller filter for MY 13 to avoid clearance issues with the EPS rack.

When you cut it open after the OCI, you'll see that the filter measures 2.375 inches from outside end cap to outside end cap. I'm simply amazed that the engine can get enough oil flow with such a tiny filter.

For my 14 Ram with the 5.7, I've run the Mopar OEM filter twice with dealer oil, then a wix with Valvoline White Bottle, then I switched to Amsoil XL and used a wix XP, then Fram Ultra a couple times, and now i'm on Baldwin because I can get them at work for a good deal.

Never noticed any difference between them.

I'm probably going to stick with Baldwin the next few times, until I hit 100,000km and my warranty is up and i'll be running Amsoil Signature Series instead of the XL and probably their filter too, so I can go way past 16,000km on an OCI (that's what my warranty says, follow the OLM or don't go above 16,000km while under warranty).

OLM goes off between 13,000 and 14,000km for me, I have had it go off past 15,000km once but that year I had a lot of highway driving. TBN was about 1.2 on that run.

I have had my Amsoil XL tested and around 14,000km the TBN usually is between 1.5 and 2.
Insolubles around 0.2 to 0.3.
That little itty bitty filter is enough even for long runs. Remember we run 20wt oil, not 30w or 40w like in the past. Perhaps thats why smaller filters work ok nowadays, because thinner oil at operating temp doesn't affect the flow as much?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: irv
Originally Posted By: das_peikko
Looked it up. It takes that little itty bitty oil filter. Interesting.

Odd? I just looked it up as well and noticed my 13 will accept a TG-2, or longer version. Wonder why a 17 won't? What has changed, I wonder?
http://www.fram.com/Search-Parts/Search-Results

Does yours have Electric Power Steering? MY 13 was the transition year, the bigger filter may hit or be tight to the EPS rack, hence the smaller filter.

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
Looked it up. It takes that little itty bitty oil filter. Interesting.

Odd? I just looked it up as well and noticed my 13 will accept a TG-2, or longer version. Wonder why a 17 won't? What has changed, I wonder?
http://www.fram.com/Search-Parts/Search-Results

Does yours have Electric Power Steering? MY 13 was the transition year, the bigger filter may hit or be tight to the EPS rack, hence the smaller filter.

Honestly, I don't know, but I believe it does? Mine is only a 6sp but according to the Fram chart, it doesn't take that into consideration, which it shouldn't as I can't see that mattering anyways, but something has certainly changed?
I also noticed a cabin air filter is available for a 17 where my truck didn't come with one.

I have ran the larger CQ premium since after the 1st oil change without any issues whatsoever so I am curious why, on the 17's it's not available or an option?

It's tight in there, but it doesn't interfere with anything, and I can slip a small cut off ice cream container under it to catch the oil when I change it.

17's must have a lot less room for whatever reason?

My 2012 Ram was the last model year spec'd for the MO-899 oil filter, which crosses to Fram PH/TG/XG2 among others. Correct that the 2012 MY was the last year with a conventional (non-electric) power steering system. Others have noted the MO-899 and similar filters can be installed on MY 2013 and later 5.7L Ram trucks but it's not the factory / catalog specified oil filter.

FWIW, the CQ Blue 84899 & CQ Red R84899 oil filters were discontinued by Purolator when Purolator got the CQ oil filter contract. Thus any 84899 or R84899 oil filters you find are NOS and either manufactured by Wix (older) or Frampion (newer). I've stocked up on the blue 84899 using AAP discount codes for this reason. The Wix version is identical to a Wix 57899 inside, the Frampion version is similar to a TG inside except the 84899 has metal end caps and a Champion Laboratories style button dome end bypass.

Last edited:
I have a 15 crew cab big horn. Excellent truck. I have used mostly Wix filters no issues. A couple of Mopars but I can not justify the extra cost over Wix.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
A Fram XG10575 is a little longer than the 10060 if you have room for it.

Typo? Wrong thread? Not sure, but that filter fits my wife's Chev Impala 3.6 and is not listed for a 5.7 Fiat/Ram hemi.

Thanks for the replies. I will stick to the part# for my truck, do not wany any hassles with warranty and wrong filter number.

Will be running 5W20 Syn and changing every 6,500km.

Thanks for the replies. I will stick to the part# for my truck, do not wany any hassles with warranty and wrong filter number.

Personally, and maybe others will disagree, but I'd run a Tough Guard instead of the Xtra Guard being as you are going to be running synthetic oil.

They also filter slightly better and the cost between the 2, especially when on sale, is insignificant as well.
Just mine my opinion.
cheers3.gif

Personally, and maybe others will disagree, but I'd run a Tough Guard instead of the Xtra Guard being as you are going to be running synthetic oil.

It's actually called Extra Guard (EG), not to be confused with the older term of Xtended Guard (XG) once used for the Ultra.

They also filter slightly better and the cost between the 2, especially when on sale, is insignificant as well.
Just mine my opinion.
cheers3.gif

The XG10060 is the Ultra filter, specifically for synthetic oil.

http://www.fram.com/search-parts/Part-Detail/?PN=XG10060&AT=Passenger%20Car/Light%20Duty%20Trucks&VT=All&YR=2017&MK=Ram&MD=1500&EN=V8%205.7&CP=&PT=Oil%20Filter,Air%20Filter,Cabin%20Air%20Filter,other&OF=&MF=&OT=

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back