STP Maximum Life Oil Filter Defect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got an oil change special from Autozone for a friend's 2002 Monte Carlo, figured I'd up to the super premium STP Max filter with Valvoline Synthetic for 30 bucks. Seemed like a good deal. Got home and found a torn ADBV. My bad, should have opened the box beforehand. Sticking with OEM, K&N or Wix now, for the rest of my life, never straying again. They happily exchanged it for an A/C Delco with no question.

72bvqc.jpg

2mrz155.jpg

Seemed off center too. Maybe that's what was going on. Either way no warm fuzzy feeling.

I got an S2808ML today as part of the AZ promotion. I opened a few boxes. They all looked pretty good except one. That one had small sliver of metal leftover from the threading process. It’s definitely made by Purolator. The manufacturing code on the dome end is the clue.

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
It's strange they use a Fram part number and yet the base plate sure looks like a Purolator.

Quaker State oil filters use the Fram numbering system for most applications but are currently manufactured by Putolator.

Super Tech oil filters at Walmart use the Fram numbering system for most applications but are currently manufactured by Wix.

STP oil filters use the Fram numbering system for the most part, and were historically manufactured by Champion Laboratories (and some of the blue can applications still are).

However, there are notable exceptions, such as crossing the Motorcraft FL-500S to these various brands. Fram is the PH/TG/XG 10575. Quaker State is the QS173. Super Tech is the ST 10086. STP is the S10590.

This looks like adbv cutting by the baseplate to me. I guess Puro doesn't come here to read. An interesting alternative for this filter number is the Luber Finer PH477. Made by Champ Labs which probably made the Delco OE. I got mine from Zoro as an add on to an order with a 20-25% off deal. I found it to be a heavily built thing with a silicone adbv. Still haven't figured out why it is made. Why does a Chevy Volt need a high performance oil filter? It's a perfect cross to the 3387a.

http://productguide.luber-finer.com/Home/PartDetail?partNo=PH477

It's strange they use a Fram part number and yet the base plate sure looks like a Purolator.

Private label customers can select any filter makers style number system or have their own made up.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I don't see a problem. Though I wish the adbv was on the engine not the filter. Likely to prevent gumming and sticking.

There is no problem because he returned the defective filter with the split in the adbv, a clear, giant picture of it is above, and they gave him a Delco.
smile.gif

Not a problem at all with the S2808ML, I purchased. The ADBV has a new design feature. Notice the molded in nubs that limit the contact with the baseplate. Also, I found no burrs on the back side of the baseplate where the holes were punched.

Originally Posted By: TheOilWizard
What will you do after you find a defect on an OEM, K&N and Wix?

Throw a hissy fit and waive my clenched fist in the air.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
I don't see a problem. Though I wish the adbv was on the engine not the filter. Likely to prevent gumming and sticking.

There is no problem because he returned the defective filter with the split in the adbv, a clear, giant picture of it is above, and they gave him a Delco.
smile.gif

I cant view the OP pictures for some reason. I can see yours, I didn't read carefully on my short break, I though you had reloaded the OP photos. I was looking at you Purolator OE unit with the nice gray paint
smile.gif

Everyone (including SuperTech) use a Fram like number.

Originally Posted By: MParr
Not a problem at all with the S2808ML, I purchased. The ADBV has a new design feature. Notice the molded in nubs that limit the contact with the baseplate. Also, I found no burrs on the back side of the baseplate where the holes were punched.

I wonder if this is just for AZ STP filters. It's interesting Purolator redesigns the perfectly fine small adbv series and leaves the badly designed adbv cutting series alone. It's like is anyone on the factory floor watching anything?

Originally Posted By: goodtimes

smile.gif

I cant view the OP pictures for some reason. I can see yours, I didn't read carefully on my short break, I though you had reloaded the OP photos. I was looking at you Purolator OE unit with the nice gray paint
smile.gif

I'll attempt to repost the pic here:

2mrz155.jpg

Can you view it now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back