Which vehicle would you sell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So currently I drive a 2007 Jeep Liberty to work and my wife drives a 2015 Nissan Rogue. As our family is growing we will be shopping for a new three row vehicle later on in the year for my wife. Between the jeep and the nissan I will drive one and sell the other. It will serve primarily as a commuter vehicle but can serve as utility vehicle, backup family vehicle. My current job is 30 miles each way and I have to show up regardless of weather. The nissan may have more safety features but the jeep may be heavier so not sure which is actually safer in a crash.

Jeep pros: looks, true 4wd
Nissan pros: gas mileage, newer

What would you do?

I don't like cvt transmissions, you're in NY = snow, so i'd ditch the rogue.

But to be fair, you did not give us accumulated mileage on each vehicle.

Last edited:
Liberties seem to be aging poorly, judging from craigslist.

But it's good policy IMO to have a good car and a beater so you're only under one set of payments. Flip flop who gets the new one.

With all the issues with the Nissan CVT I would probably sell it, even if the Jeep looses an engine or transmission either could be replaced for less than the cost of a replacement CVT for the Nissan. I vote the Nissan goes.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I don't like cvt transmissions, you're in NY = snow, so i'd ditch the rogue.

But to be fair, you did not give us accumulated mileage on each vehicle.

Jeep is limited model, 100k mileage, good shape overall

Nissan is more midlevel trim, 20k mileage

The Jeep in an instant unless your are making payments on that Rogue.

2015 is far safer due to superior crash design then a 2007.

I think there's a very high chance the Rogue's CVT will give you trouble eventually. I'm not a particular fan of the Liberty but it could still have another 100K in it.

I'd keep the Jeep. Cheaper insurance, tags and taxes. Drive the wheels off it. You'll get more for the Nissan and can put that toward your family car/van. I'd sell it before the CVT shells. You'll be out less money if you wreck the Jeep in bad weather on the daily commute, door dings in the lot, road damage/wear and tear, etc.

+1
smile.gif

I'd be afraid of the repair costs on an aging Jeep (ask me how I know) and the CVT in the Nissan would scare me too.

I'd sell both and find a suitable replacement for you, like a Highlander or a CX-7 or something.

But if you had to keep one, I guess the Rogue is what I'd pick.

Originally Posted By: Kage860
My current job is 30 miles each way and I have to show up regardless of weather.

So refreshing to see a real argument for AWD and ground clearance!

The nissan may have more safety features but the jeep may be heavier so not sure which is actually safer in a crash.

Heavier isn't better. Whatever you gain in passive safety -- if anything -- you lose in active safety.

Newer is usually better. Especially if the difference is 8 years. Safety has come a long way.

Jeep pros: looks, true 4wd
Nissan pros: gas mileage, newer

What would you do?

Assuming the Rogue is AWD, because you probably wouldn't have posted this thread if it weren't.

Tough call. The Jeep might be better at getting unstuck from snow, but I'd imagine it's also more likely to break down.

Any chance of ditching both for a new-ish vehicle with a warranty?

How big is your family? Ages? Not all 3 row crossovers are made the same when it comes to car seat configuration and room.
I know you asked which to sell and I agree with several if the above, sell both.

But what to replace with...
So please allow me to live vicariously...
For you: 2015 - 2017 Equinox with the 3.6l. Don't touch the 2.4l. These years have been very trouble free and they get better gas mileage than you might think.
For the wife: Chevy Traverse. Again the new years have been relatively trouble free on the Traverse engines. But they only have 1 tether anchor in the 3rd row.
Otherwise a Honda Pilot or Toyota? I don't know which years are more trouble free.

Sell both and get a Mazda CX5 for the commute and a CX9 with 3rd row. Very reliable and not as expensive as the Toyotas

How bad is inspection in NY? I'd be tempted to keep the 2007 (assuming it's paid for) and get a 4 door sedan for commuting; and get the wife her mover. I've found that I regularly have to pick up kids on the way home from work & it's just nice to have a sedate 4 door sedan the vast majority of time (my commute is 50 miles each way). 4WD sits until it's needed (weather or my car is broken), and wife drives her car. Three vehicles isn't the cheapest option, but if you *must* be to work on time, there's something to be said for N+1 redundancy.

Low to the ground sedan is easier for real little kids to climb into also.

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Originally Posted By: daves87rs
If both are in good shape, I'd keep the Jeep

Just more fun overall....

A 10 year old Jeep Liberty is fun?

Yes. Love mine. Some people think Jeeps are fun!

Keep the Jeep. Mine's been great for 170k miles. One of the best vehicles I've ever had. Unstoppable in the snow.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back