Additives fallen out of suspension?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. Never been a Pennzoil guy because i was always told that it lubed great, but didn't clean well. Obviously thats an archaic opinion, right? Today a customer brought in a jug of PYB for their Focus, and after pouring it, i happened to look in the bottle and see this. It appears to be additives which have fallen out of suspension. Makes me wonder how it suspends dirt and carbon efdectively, if it cant suspend its own additives. Never seen this in Valvoline, Mobil, or Conoco/Phillips products.

Originally Posted By: KMJ1992
Hello all. Never been a Pennzoil guy because i was always told that it lubed great, but didn't clean well. Obviously thats an archaic opinion, right? Today a customer brought in a jug of PYB for their Focus, and after pouring it, i happened to look in the bottle and see this. It appears to be additives which have fallen out of suspension. Makes me wonder how it suspends dirt and carbon efdectively, if it cant suspend its own additives. Never seen this in Valvoline, Mobil, or Conoco/Phillips products.

The oil in your engine is circulated and mixed every time the vehicle is started was the Jugs shaken every day or before the OCI? I'd guess no!

It appears to be additives which have fallen out of suspension.

Classic
Quote:

Makes me wonder how it suspends dirt and carbon efdectively, if it cant suspend its own additives. Never seen this in Valvoline, Mobil, or Conoco/Phillips products.

I like Pennzoil and I'd buy Pennzoil again.

I understand. Thats not what i am asking. Im asking why this occurred in this particular product when i see tons of oil jugs per day and havent noticed it elsewhere. At minimum i sure wouldnt use this in anything that sits for the winter. Reasonable?

I understand. Thats not what i am asking. Im asking why this occurred in this particular product when i see tons of oil jugs per day and havent noticed it elsewhere. At minimum i sure wouldnt use this in anything that sits for the winter. Reasonable?

I've seen it in all the jugs that have been sitting for a while (except the black ones): Quaker state, castrol, pennzoil, valvoline, peak, supertech from the top of my head...

That's normal for any motor oil that has been sitting a wile I've seen it with many brands nothing to worry about that's why it's important to always shake up your containers well before dumping it in.

Logical, but not reasonable
wink.gif
I can remember seeing additives on the bottom of bright yellow PYB jugs for ages, just rinse it out and put it into the engine. When the VOAs come back with element concentrations out of range, or UOAs indicating accelerated engine wear and oil condemnation, then it may be quite reasonable to avoid the product.

Maybe i should clarify. I am not incinuating Pennzoil is "bad". I am curious wether this is a known thing for dino oils or??? Ive only ever used Valvoline dino oil in my old F150. Every other car i have owned i have fed M1, RP, Or VSP. And i am genuinely curious as to how this works. What additive is that likely to be? Moly? And does ability to hold solids in suspension over longer downtimes really not mean anything? It was an uncracked bottle of the new design, no reason for me to believe it had been sitting more than maybe a month or two. I am also under the impression that the pickup tube in an engine feeds from the bottom of the pan first. So maybe the worst that can happen is the filter has to do its job better, again, im just curious if anyone has seen this elsewhere, or if i should worry this batch may have had an issue? I care about the cars i service and the people i service them for. If i should be trying to upsell a better product for their benefit, i would like to know! Especially considering Fords now have one of those 10k oil clocks and many of our customers follow it. I think thats pushing it on ANY dino, but the old [censored] whos been their the longest thinks the only fix is shorter ocis. I decided to come here to learn, and maybe prove him wrong!

Yep, 'analysis paralysis'. There was a story on this board somewhere where a guy collected all the settled addtives of various jugs he used and had it analyzed. The results indicated high additive levels, obviously. I forget which specific ones, that was a while since I read it.

As i suspected, i am overthinking it. Is this Moly by chance? I have heard it can settle and that Pennz has a decent amount.

You aren't seeing Molybdenum LOL. Oil can have different density and have different parts settle slightly.

Shake it and pour it in.

Originally Posted By: zorobabel

I've seen it in all the jugs that have been sitting for a while

Yes, same here. Been seeing it for years across every brand.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
There was a story on this board somewhere where a guy collected all the settled additives of various jugs he used and had it analyzed. The results indicated high additive levels, obviously.

Hmmm... that would be interesting.

Warm it up and shake before pouring.

PCMO is blended at temps around 90 to 100C so all of the soup mixes.

At lower temperatures, some additives may "de-solve" and settle.

No big deal.

I never really looked in a bottle after pouring it out. Maybe I missed all this drama. I also never shake my jugs of oil... Hmmm

Maybe i should clarify. I am not incinuating Pennzoil is "bad". I am curious wether this is a known thing for dino oils or??? Ive only ever used Valvoline dino oil in my old F150. Every other car i have owned i have fed M1, RP, Or VSP. And i am genuinely curious as to how this works. What additive is that likely to be? Moly? And does ability to hold solids in suspension over longer downtimes really not mean anything? It was an uncracked bottle of the new design, no reason for me to believe it had been sitting more than maybe a month or two. I am also under the impression that the pickup tube in an engine feeds from the bottom of the pan first. So maybe the worst that can happen is the filter has to do its job better, again, im just curious if anyone has seen this elsewhere, or if i should worry this batch may have had an issue? I care about the cars i service and the people i service them for. If i should be trying to upsell a better product for their benefit, i would like to know! Especially considering Fords now have one of those 10k oil clocks and many of our customers follow it. I think thats pushing it on ANY dino, but the old [censored] whos been their the longest thinks the only fix is shorter ocis. I decided to come here to learn, and maybe prove him wrong!
]]]

Your not the first to report additives falling out of suspension in Pennzoil. Do a quick google search. Pennzoil even commented on it in the FAQ section.

Good hunting!

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: zorobabel

I've seen it in all the jugs that have been sitting for a while

Yes, same here. Been seeing it for years across every brand.

Same, and if one was to do a search, they'd see it has also been talked about for years.

Always good practice to tip the jug/bottle upside a couple of times. Like any blended liquid, it's components will settle out over time (paint being an obvious good example.)

Regards
Jordan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back