Monroe Shocks Seem 1.5" too short

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought some Monroe shocks for replacement on a 2009 Mazda 5. The shock is clearly 1.5" shorter than the OEM. I have contacted the Monroe and they state...

"Monroe uses an improved rebound extension prevention method than the OE and other aftermarket manufactures. We use a spring instead of a bumper. The spring provided better handling and smoother operation. "

Not exactly sure what this means, but I call and the Monroe rep tells me to jack up the control arm so it fits, then bolt every thing up and then let the tension off the jack. Not sure of this advice and don't want to shear off a bolt that the shock connects to. I did not have to jack up control arms, for the OEM shock, so hesitant to do it for the Monroe. Any insights?

Pics here --->
monroe.jpg

I have used those same shocks on some Mazda 3/5's without issue. I don't think you will have a problem.

Its obviously the wrong shock IMO, the double talk is how they justify selling the correct part for one (not yours) and the wrong part for multiple other vehicles.

I wouldn't run it. I think you'd run a good risk of over extending it and that's not real healthy for the shock if it happens often.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
I wouldn't run it. I think you'd run a good risk of over extending it and that's not real healthy for the shock if it happens often.

+1!

It comes down to who you believe. the people that built it and have to stand by it, or a group of people with unknown backgrounds and experience on the internet ?

If it's compressed, even a little, with the car on the ground I wouldn't give it a second thought. My vote goes to the "use it" group.

There are two ways of looking at it, do you believe a minimum wage worker on the telephone and answering from a cheat sheet or use a little common sense? If you effect the rebound with a shorter rod you also effect compression.
Replacing a bumper with a spring hence the shorter rod doesn't make any sense but may be someone can enlighten us.

Their explanation makes sense: there’s a metal spring inside that’s longer than the rubber bumpstop in the original spring to prevent overextension. However, this means that the shock won’t extend as far by itself, just from the pressure of the nitrogen gas in it.

If it the spring is longer than the bump stop but the same length when the spring is compressed and the rod is the same length when not installed I would agree.

Originally Posted By: linuxology
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Who made the OE shocks?

Think it was KYB after doing some research...

it'll say who made it right on the old shock
smile.gif

If one does not have confidence in the part and the tech people haven't built on that confidence, it's best to exchange, in my view. Further as to what Trav said, the guy on the phone isn't with you installing the part.
wink.gif

From two sources that I looked up, that Monroe OESpectrum #5607 is the correct part# for your vehicle. I have the same exact Monroe OESpectrum part# on the 2006 Mazda 3i in my signature and they're fine and super easy to install.

I would however, get new rear upper shock mounts as well, as they do tend to break at the screw holes where they're mounted at the top inside the wheel well. Then just attach the new mount to the shock and install as a unit instead of trying to remove the old mount from the old shock. Being in Louisiana may allow you to use the old shock mount however here in NY State, I replace the mount when replacing the shock.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
KYB.

Are you saying that KYB is the OE supplier to Mazda or that the OP should change to KYB?

^^^I would have gotten KYB's myself but, the price was right in the Monroe's. Same warranty(lifetime). I do like the Monroe's as they have softened up the ride(along with decent tires/Pirelli P7) somewhat without penalizing the handling that we've noticed.

I wouldn't use it, it clearly doesn't look like the right part 'to me' compared to what it's replacing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back