F150 Diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did I miss this? Ward's

Quote:

Ford’s best-selling pickup lineup kicks off 2018 with an all-new powertrain option in the form a first-ever-for-F-150 diesel engine.

Debuting at the North American International Auto Show, the F-150 Power Stroke 3.0L V-6 diesel arrives in dealership this spring as the sixth engine option for the light-duty truck. F-150 gas engines include the 2.7L, 3.5L and high-output 3.5L V-6 EcoBoost twin turbos, and two naturally aspirated options, the 3.3L V-6 and 5.0L V-8.

Ford says the combination of the 250-hp, 440-lb.-ft. (597-Nm) diesel and the standard 10-speed automatic transmission give the pickup a series of best-in-class capabilities: an EPA-estimated 30 mpg (7.8 L/100 km), an 11,400-lb. (5,171-kg) towing capacity and a 2,020-lb. (916-kg) payload limit. Peak torque arrives at just 1,750 rpm.

30mpg, start/stop, mechanical engine fan, 10AT, 11,400 towing, 2,020lb payload. Yeepers.

They should sell a bunch of em
laugh.gif

Amazing how technology has progressed. Still driving around my 95 Powerstroke which is 7.3 liters, makes 210 hp and 425 lb/ft of torque. That was considered leading edge technology back then with the drive by wire throttle and HEUI injectors. Maybe when my motor bites the dust Ford will this engine available as a crate motor.

True mechanical engine fan, or electronic control of it?

Either way, I like the sound of it alot!

I'm going to Detroit for the NAIAS again, so I'm sure I'll see it in person and get some good pics.

The diesel power war is expanding into the half-ton segment. Ford just had to outdo Dodge's Ecodiesel numbers, didn't they? I wonder if Ford will botch the viscosity spec on this engine like Dodge did on theirs. If they say 30 weight, just put in a 40 and be done with it.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
The diesel power war is expanding into the half-ton segment. Ford just had to outdo Dodge's Ecodiesel numbers, didn't they? I wonder if Ford will botch the viscosity spec on this engine like Dodge did on theirs. If they say 30 weight, just put in a 40 and be done with it.

Ford likes to CLAIM more power. Their claims don't always pan out.

I was surprised by the results of this test. The one rated for the the LEAST amount of torque, actually put the most to the ground.

I hope you early adopters do a good job test driving Ford's new diesel. You've dropped the ball on the dual-clutch transmission and that head gasket popping turbo engine in the small Fords was not I high point, either.

I hear that if you're not a fleet customer you'll have to buy one of the upscale fancy models that don't mix well with dirty, greasy old work clothes and then pay another $4K on top of that.

Maybe a Ford fan can post the sticker price total for one of these Saturday night cruisers. I've driven a 2016 King Ranch F-250 and I've got to say it's one really nice ride. Not accounting for fuel I'd rather drive it cross-country that a lot of fancy sedans or SUV's I can think of.

It's often been said if you want to buy a vehicle and drive it for 50 years and a million miles you'd better get a pickup truck.

Glad to see a small diesel option in the F150. I have a friend that works for Toyota and he was told by Toyota that they were getting a small truck diesel two years ago and they are still waiting for it!

A diesel with that 10 speed automatic-what could possibly go wrong? I know Ford has dropped all the HD truck manual transmissions, but their LD transmissions have not impressed me much if they're worked hard. Guess if I ever win the lottery and buy a new truck, it'll have to be a Ram 4500 or 5500.

Not a Ford guy per se....hope this kicks GM's [censored] into gear. The big Duramax is way to expensive for anything but a real work truck now.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

They are fumbling with their Super Duty oil spec already.
wink.gif

Now, will this actually be on the road? This isn't another one of Ford's little rib ticklers? We've been promised a Ford half ton diesel for over a decade.

I love the idea of all these 1/2 diesels but how high will the sticker price be? Trucks are getting way to expensive

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

It's often been said if you want to buy a vehicle and drive it for 50 years and a million miles you'd better get a pickup truck.

Nowadays, the people I see driving luxury trucks(anything above a Lariat/LTZ[and I remember when GM's top trim level was Silverado]) seem to be bros who are too insecure to be caught dead driving a Range Rover or Lexus/Mercedes SUV unless it's his wife's/girlfriend's car. Granted, I was riding in the back of a F350SD Lariat crew cab and they are nice, but not what I expect for $70K nice.

I think the mechanical core of Ford/GM/Toyota trucks will last a decently long time. I have my doubts with Dodge, especially when the newer Ram 1500s share transmissions with Audi/BMW/Land Rover(ZF 8HP series).

Originally Posted By: PiperOne
Not a Ford guy per se....hope this kicks GM's [censored] into gear. The big Duramax is way to expensive for anything but a real work truck now.

Well....there are pictures out there of the 2019 Silverado and it's one ugly truck. The "full reveal" will be this Saturday evening.

I hang out on a couple of the truck boards and at least the half-ton isn't getting much favorable reviews in the looks department anyway.

Originally Posted By: PiperOne

GM had a diesel engine for their half-tons before their bankruptcy. It was called the LMK, and was a 4.5L V8 with an 80-degree V and the exhaust was in the V. They had articles in industry magazines like Wards about the engine announcing the introduction, but pulled the plug on production. Maybe it's sad that they haven't gotten back to it, but maybe it isn't. Engines aren't usually successful when they are designed with weird features.

I think 3.0L engines are too small for half-ton pickups that do real work, but maybe that's the engine size that you need if you're going to maximize your results on the CAFE test. I do remember hearing once that GM is working on a 3.0L I6 diesel, so maybe they're falling in line with Chrysler and Ford in the CAFE game. But if they want an engine that can do real work, they'll do something more like a 4.0L. Detroit Diesel had a 4.0L V6 on display at the 2000 Detroit auto show. Wonder what happened to that engine.

And then there is Nissan with the 5.0L Cummins in the welterweight half-ton XD. It seems great in the concept of having a Cummins engine in your truck to give it credibility in the workability and durability department, but the execution so far seems lacking. I watched a video that TFL Truck did on YT, and the fuel economy was really no better than a gas engine, but the diesel option was very expensive.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Glad to see a small diesel option in the F150. I have a friend that works for Toyota and he was told by Toyota that they were getting a small truck diesel two years ago and they are still waiting for it!

My understanding is Ford and Toyota still have some agreement regarding competition in the pickup segment.

Basically, Ford agreed not to knock on their door in one segment, and Toyota plays it cool in the pickup segment.

I would be totally open to Toyo diesel though. Love their engines in the Hino trucks.

Originally Posted By: nthach
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack

Nowadays, the people I see driving luxury trucks(anything above a Lariat/LTZ[and I remember when GM's top trim level was Silverado]) seem to be bros who are too insecure to be caught dead driving a Range Rover or Lexus/Mercedes SUV unless it's his wife's/girlfriend's car. Granted, I was riding in the back of a F350SD Lariat crew cab and they are nice, but not what I expect for $70K nice.

I think the mechanical core of Ford/GM/Toyota trucks will last a decently long time. I have my doubts with Dodge, especially when the newer Ram 1500s share transmissions with Audi/BMW/Land Rover(ZF 8HP series).

Tough call. When I got my Navigator, I was deeply concerned with the fact that it had a German transmission, but it, and it's descendant the 6R80 are just magic.

160k miles, and this trans should have STB a long time ago with what I've done with it. But it keeps on going real nice, without an issue at all. Couldn't be happier with it.

If the 10 speed is as good, it will be a fantastic transmission. A trans with that many gears is exactly what a diesel engine needs, to always have it in the fat of the power band, and still be able to stretch it's legs on the highways.

Fleets are the only ones that can get it in xt and xlt trim.....the rest is only lariat and up....so prices will not be cheap....you could get a 2500 Ram with a Cummins cheaper than this....I would take the Cummins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back