Idemitsu or Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought my new 2016 Sequoia last April and changed the oil at 1k with Mobil 1 0W-20 AFE. I change my oil in all my cars every 5k and I'm almost at 6k. Since this is the second oil change, should I use Idemitsu 0W-20 or stick with Mobil 1 0W-20 AFE? I wonder if I'll get better mileage (13 mpg) if I use Idemitsu. Thanks guys.

Probably not enough fuel economy difference between the two to measure. Go with whatever is easier to get and cheaper. I think that means M1 AFE from WalMart. Idemitsu is a rare brand to find in the USA. Maybe easier to find in California?

You won’t see a difference between a 5w30and the 0w20 much less betweeen brands in a sequoia.
Whatever one is in your supply stream and at a price you like should be fine.

Fwiw, regular Idemitsu 0w-20 seems to be a fairly typical Group III synthetic. They used to market a molybdenum-heavy “Zepro” version but this seems to have been superseded and was hard to find and pricey in any event.

Mobil1, on the other hand is c. 30-35% PAO in the 0w-20 AFE flavor and c. 65-70% PAO in EP. Even if you don’t think PAO matters, with Wal-Mart pricing Mobil1sure looks like the better choice to me.

Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr
You won’t see a difference between a 5w30and the 0w20 much less betweeen brands in a sequoia.

What brand do you run in your Pro's?

Originally Posted By: Danh
Fwiw, regular Idemitsu 0w-20 seems to be a fairly typical Group III synthetic. They used to market a molybdenum-heavy “Zepro” version but this seems to have been superseded and was hard to find and pricey in any event.

Mobil1, on the other hand is c. 30-35% PAO in the 0w-20 AFE flavor and c. 65-70% PAO in EP. Even if you don’t think PAO matters, with Wal-Mart pricing Mobil1sure looks like the better choice to me.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: nate95023
Originally Posted By: Bryanccfshr

What brand do you run in your Pro's?

They both have FF in them but will each probably get some Delo LE 5w30 or 10w30 delo semi syn or magnatec 5w30(really haven’t made up my mind but a strong 30 weight is going in)for the summer trail season. Then in August’s and September they both will get the Motorcraft 0w20the dealer uses for the provided oil changes. When the 2 changes are up I will probably stick with a strong 5w30 or 10w30 Synthetic for the year unless I rack up a lot more miles than normal.

I had a FJ cruiser for 7 years and ran nothing but 0w20 AFE in it. Boring, reliable, clean. No complaints. See it running all over the place now with the new owner.

I used idemitsu 0w20 because it was the cheapest 0w20 locally. There's a reason why OEMs like Honda & Subaru use them: because they're the cheapest. M1 is way better because of the PAO basestocks.

For 5k, it doesn't matter. Just use whichever is the better price
smile.gif

Toyota recommends 10k when using syn. If you actually did 10k, then M1 would be worth the extra cost

Remember, it's not about the base stocks but the overall performance of the oil. Chasing a single base stock is a fools game
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol

Remember, it's not about the base stocks but the overall performance of the oil. Chasing a single base stock is a fools game
wink.gif

Right, but in oils that are similarly approved, choosing the oil that was obviously more expensive to blend because it has expensive base stocks, makes sense. It will also have superior ultra low-temp performance if that's relevant to a specific situation. PAO doesn't have a point where wax crystals quickly demolish its ability to pump.

Originally Posted By: nate95023
I bought my new 2016 Sequoia last April and changed the oil at 1k with Mobil 1 0W-20 AFE. I change my oil in all my cars every 5k and I'm almost at 6k. Since this is the second oil change, should I use Idemitsu 0W-20 or stick with Mobil 1 0W-20 AFE? I wonder if I'll get better mileage (13 mpg) if I use Idemitsu. Thanks guys.
You will never see a noticible mpg increase or decrease by changing oil brands. M1 is a fine oil.

Idemitsu is a great oil but one just as good would be Mobil 1 AFE. I would go with the M1. Easier to find and cheaper.

You know I'm just givin' [censored] with that much-used argument right? We'd all expect to find it like clockwork in a Redline thread, or a Motul thread but definitely not in a Mobil 1 thread. I actually agree with your point, and have made it many times in the past. As a side, I'd bet the Idemitsu has a higher VI than AFE or EP but that's just a hunch.

The Idemitsu and AFE are different animals than EP 0w20 anyway, and the relatively new segment of purpose-built "extended drain" oils (as marketed in North America, independent of existing ACEA and Euro manufacturers specs) is still quite small.

You know I'm just givin' [censored] with that much-used argument right? We'd all expect to find it like clockwork in a Redline thread, or a Motul thread but definitely not in a Mobil 1 thread. I actually agree with your point, and have made it many times in the past. As a side, I'd bet the Idemitsu has a higher VI than AFE or EP but that's just a hunch.

The Idemitsu and AFE are different animals than EP 0w20 anyway, and the relatively new segment of purpose-built "extended drain" oils (as marketed in North America, independent of existing ACEA and Euro manufacturers specs) is still quite small.

thumbsup2.gif

Idemitsu 0w-20 VI = 169
Mobil 1 AFE 0w-20 VI = 173
Mobil1 EP 0w-20 VI = 173

Idemitsu 0w-20 VI = 169
Mobil 1 AFE 0w-20 VI = 173
Mobil1 EP 0w-20 VI = 173

Basically no practical difference worth basing a decision on.

I'm not quite following the thinking that Mobil would sell this product for a significantly lower margin than Idemitsu. Isn't that what is implied by the assertions that the Mobil product is simultaneously lower priced and more expensive to make?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back