2018 Camaro 2.0T 6-speed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last one I drove was terrible. Ist gen Sale $22K. 300HP 6-er and a 6 speed. Trans (Chinese?) was junk - unshiftable 1-2 or 2-3, engine smooth, ride good, visibility non existent.
Terrible car. Looks good from the outside. Though but the retro thing is all played out by 2018.

Mustang not much better back then.

get a used BMW Z M roadster. A real sports car.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I believe the GM 2.0T requires premium gas and the Mustang's 2.3T doesn't.
Can a basic Mustang 2.3T be had for similar coin?

The Cadillac and Malibu do not require premium. I can't speak for the Camaro.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike

You may be right Mike....I remember a comparo article in Motor Trend (I think) from 2016 and in the specs column it stated that the Chevy required premium while the Mustang required 87 octane. I'll look up the issue when I get home.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
My Malibu has the same engine. We really like it. It is certainly underrated. I listen to the other folks here talk about other 2.0 turbos and they make nowhere the horsepower and torque of the GM 2.0.

In the ATS it seems to be a step or two behind BMW's 2.0T, but its still decent enough. I'd drive one for sure.

325i VS ATS

Not sure if the newer, refreshed models are any bigger on the inside, but anyone who has some height to them should tap the brakes on these cars. I tried to buy a brand new 2011 Camaro back in 2011 (duh), and I had to walk off the lot without ever getting to see the inside of one.

Upon picking one out and asking if I could test it out, I was denied by the car itself - I literally could not get into the driver's seat of that car!

And trust me, when I told that sales person I was there to buy a new Camaro, he was my best friend all of a sudden. And when it became apparent I was not going to be able to fold myself into the car I had just asked him to sell me, he panicked! He was moving that seat all different ways, pointing out different ways I should try to fold my right leg in while holding my left one back, checking the steering column to make sure it was all the way in...that poor salesman, he didn't stand a chance, and we all knew it (yes, all of us - me, and all the people who had gathered around the Camaro in the showroom to watch the circus freak attempt to fold himself into the clown car).

I felt bad for him, but I cannot buy a car which I cannot get into and drive. So I had to walk out and go buy a new car somewhere else...which turned out to be the local Dodge house where I found myself a new 2011 Challenger which plenty of room for me behind the steering wheel, and then some!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: The_Nuke
Not sure if the newer, refreshed models are any bigger on the inside, but anyone who has some height to them should tap the brakes on these cars.

Supposedly these newer Camaros have about 1.5 more inches of legroom and 1 more inch of headroom.

On paper, the Camaro you tried to get into has 42.4 inches of legroom, which is actually more than your Challenger (42.0). Granted, there is more to being able to get into/out of a car than just legroom.

How tall are you? What's your inseam? Just curious.

so why is the cruze hatchback with the diesel 27-30k?

edit: where are you seeing a 2018 for 20k?

I'm showing the LS base model for nearly 27000 msrp and sales around 24500+tax/fees

ps your link is a 2017 model.

How does it ride ?

How easy or difficult is it to get in and out , for an old , fat guy with bad knees & hips ?

Is it loud ?

This is a 2.0l turbo ?

How expensive is insurance ?

I do not care about the wheels , as long as they & the tires are round and in balance .

What is the gas mileage in town ? On the highway at 75 MPH ?

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Last one I drove was terrible. Ist gen Sale $22K. 300HP 6-er and a 6 speed. Trans (Chinese?) was junk - unshiftable 1-2 or 2-3, engine smooth, ride good, visibility non existent.
Terrible car. Looks good from the outside. Though but the retro thing is all played out by 2018.

The BMW? That is more of a luxury cruiser for the twice divorced 50 year old, not a real sportscar
wink.gif
OK, having a bit of fun there, never mind me.

However, you did just tell someone to go look at a 10-12 year old BMW compared to a new car. That BMW is going to have repair bills akin to a car payment on top of the car payment. That is a tough sell... a just-off lease 2-series is a better alternative and in the same pricepoint. That said, the M Coupe is really an unsung gem and last of the straight six M cars.

The 5th Gen was weak in non-SS variant and while the V8 was a decent performer... it wasn't stellar if looking at a general sportscar. It was stuck in that retro muscle a bit much and anything not an SS or above was a rental at best.

The 6th Gen Camaro is a lot better. In fact, the V6 finally made sense, the boosted fours were not out yet when I test-drove it. Actually, I would recommend the V6 over the V8 because you actually get to use the power on normal roads. The V8 makes sense more on the track. The handling was great considering the size (more in a bit). I liked it and that is coming from someone who drives Zs and MR2s. However, it can hide its proportions and the viability never really lets you know where you are in a turn. So it was a car that could handle being tossed in but would not be inspiring confidence. My surprise was how well it could stop. The car felt a good 500 lighter when you hit the middle pedal hard.

Now here is the trick... if you were going to tell me to go buy the Camaro with the 2.0 or the 2-series 2.0 (ie the 230i), I would probably go with the Camaro. The 2-series is the slightly nicer car overall, but the Camaro is both lighter and more powerful. However, the trick is that the BMW feels much smaller and more nimble... the Camaro seems to driver larger than it is while the BMW is the opposite. Still, low 20s for the Camaro will win every since time over the BMW price premium for me.

Heck, that was one perk of the Genesis Coupe (dealers were desperate to sell)... and I could see some I4 Camaros going for near $20K. Is it the "best"? No. Is it the "best" at the discounted pricepoint, maybe? Still can't see the apex to hit the apex.

You may be right Mike....I remember a comparo article in Motor Trend (I think) from 2016 and in the specs column it stated that the Chevy required premium while the Mustang required 87 octane. I'll look up the issue when I get home.

On page 43 of the August 2016 Motor Trend (Camaro vs. Mustang 4cyl. turbo comparo titled "V8..what 4?"..its says 'Recommended fuel' (not 'required' as I erroneously stated earlier)....Mustang lists 87 octane while the Camaro lists premium.

Originally Posted By: Rand
I'm showing the LS base model for nearly 27000 msrp and sales around 24500+tax/fees

TrueCar.com agrees with your $24k as an average truecar price.
With incentives (rebates) from GM, you might be able to get one for $21k, with a mid-winter sale going on, and they have too many on the lot....
$20k would be a steal though. Does the OP know where he saw $20k?

BTW, a Mustang is about the same price on truecar.com. I'd urge anyone to test drive the Mustang too.

This is a great sports car value. If you can cope with the low-visibility windows, this new-gen Camaro (Cadillac ATS chassis) is 389 lbs lighter than the last Camaro.
Transformers must have gone on a diet!

Last edited:
On page 43 of the August 2016 Motor Trend (Camaro vs. Mustang 4cyl. turbo comparo titled "V8..what 4?"..its says 'Recommended fuel' (not 'required' as I erroneously stated earlier)....Mustang lists 87 octane while the Camaro lists premium.

Although I've read a number of reports claiming the Mustang performs quite a bit better running on premium fuel.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: The_Nuke
Not sure if the newer, refreshed models are any bigger on the inside, but anyone who has some height to them should tap the brakes on these cars.

Supposedly these newer Camaros have about 1.5 more inches of legroom and 1 more inch of headroom.

On paper, the Camaro you tried to get into has 42.4 inches of legroom, which is actually more than your Challenger (42.0). Granted, there is more to being able to get into/out of a car than just legroom.

How tall are you? What's your inseam? Just curious.

He probably had the seat jacked up all the way, lol.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Yeah, the 5th gen was a POS but this is a completely different car.

I want a daily driver that isn't a FWD crossover, is fun to drive like my current car but doesn't cost 50k and won't make me cry when it starts rusting in five years. We got 6" of snow today. A BMW Z roadster would be a horrible car to drive year-round, and would cost 5x more to maintain over 100,000 miles than a 2.0 Ecotec/LTG setup.

You want me to take this to a ski resort? I don't even think ski blades would fit with the top up.

2009-bmw-z4-roadster-photo-253119-s-original.jpg

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Highly boosted 2.0L engine in a 3400-pound car? Premium fuel all the time.

Literally an extra few dollars at most per fillup. I use 93 now and it isn't even a valid argument. Just drink two less coffees a month if it's that big of a deal.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: Rand

TrueCar.com agrees with your $24k as an average truecar price.
With incentives (rebates) from GM, you might be able to get one for $21k, with a mid-winter sale going on, and they have too many on the lot....
$20k would be a steal though. Does the OP know where he saw $20k?

BTW, a Mustang is about the same price on truecar.com. I'd urge anyone to test drive the Mustang too.

This is a great sports car value. If you can cope with the low-visibility windows, this new-gen Camaro (Cadillac ATS chassis) is 389 lbs lighter than the last Camaro.
Transformers must have gone on a diet!

Just go on cars.com, sort lowest to highest and then go to the dealer's website to confirm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back