High Mileage 10w-30 to combat oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to try a High Mileage motor oil to fight oil consumption (10w-30). Is there a brand in particular better suited to oil consumption? Not brand loyal, just looking for something for a 5.9 Dodge Mangnum V8. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
Not brand loyal, just looking for something for a 5.9 Dodge Mangnum V8. Thanks.

Ohh....

You most likely have a leaking intake plenum gasket, which requires the intake manifold to come off.

VERY VERY common problem on the 5.9 V8

No oil can fix that.

wink.gif

If it’s the front oil seal and/or pan gasket, I can say Quaker State Defy can help. It takes a couple of changes to work. There is still oil on the pan but it barely drips.
I’m using the 5w-30.

SF

Not in that specific engine, but in several others (not all of the same type) I've had good results with Maxlife. As snagglefoot said, give it 3-4 changes to judge how much good it's done.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: mbacfp
Not brand loyal, just looking for something for a 5.9 Dodge Mangnum V8. Thanks.

Ohh....

You most likely have a leaking intake plenum gasket, which requires the intake manifold to come off.

No oil can fix that.

Yeah, replace gasket and forget HM oil.

Not convinced it is Plenum...probably going to fix with Hughes Kit anyway. Curious what High Mileage oils were good to start using going forward. Thanks and I promise no more threads on this issue.

Thanks BrocLuno. I apologize to all for so many similar threads. Will not happen again.

Last edited:
I switched to M1 HM 5W-30 in my 10 yo (125,000 mi) 5.3 Chevy and first use it cut the oil consumption in half. It needed an oil change a couple months ago and with a cold winter shaping up, I decided to use up some old stock M1 0W-30. I follow the OLM which takes OCs out to 8,000 miles. I’ve burned two quarts of AFE in 5000. So, I will go back to year round HM after this. Starts good at -12F though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Linctex
Ohh....

No oil can fix that.

Will that cause the engine to ingest coolant also? Let coolant get in the oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back