Tar like oil stain

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i did an oil change for a buddy on his 4.7 v8 jeep. Talked him into going synthetic because these engines are [censored] to begin with. Spilled a little bit on my floor and threw some absorbant kitty litter on it. went back to clean it up a few days later and was surprised by the consistancy of it.
Usually the litter will soak it up and then flake off the ground.
This stuck to the floor like tar, had to scrap it to get it off. Just curious why it would do this?

I do not know the answer to your question but the phenomena of which you speak is a friend's fall back explanation of why synthetic is better.

Same thing, he spilled some synthetic motorcycle oil and it resisted being wiped up....and that's why synthetics are better.

The rap I love is the comparison of molecule size between conventional and synthetics.
Conventional oil molecules are more randomly sized and lock together creating drag. Compare this to a rudimentary cement made from differing soils. The ancients paved roads this way.

Randomly sized fish tank gravel locks together in the same way and becomes inappropriate for under-gravel filtration as they don't let much water pass through.

Synthetic oils have uniform sized molecules which glide over each other more easily.

How that translates into tenacity on the floor is something I do not know. Maybe something in your oil dissolved something in the concrete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back