TPMS help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had Walmart install 5 Hankook Dynapros on my Jeep last Thursday on different rims. 2 of the 5 sensors broke when transferring them to the new rims. They put in 2 new sensors. The "Low Pressure" warning and TPMS light was on when I picked it up, but it was almost 8:00 and I just wanted to get home, and I figured it would self learn, as I thought Jeeps did, if you drove 35MPH plus for 10+ mins. Took it on a drive about 80 miles each way, at a sustained 75-80 MPH and the low pressure warning and TPMS light is still on. For what it's worth, about a month ago I had the batteries tested in all the TPMS sensors and they all tested fine. No light was on prior to the new tires. I'm planning on taking it in first thing tomorrow, but wanted to arm myself with some ideas. Thanks!

Be polite and don't let them show you the door.

Have your owner's manual handy to back you up.

They might try to tell you to drive "50 miles". You did. Let them explain how they'll make you right before you get into the specifics of your problem.

Check the pressure because they may have filled them to spec while indoors and then you took it out in freezing weather where the pressure will drop considerably.

I don't know about Jeep TPMS technology, but the TPMS sensors used by Nissan and Infiniti models in 2007 are proprietary. When I last checked two years ago, neither Shrader, SMP nor any other TPMS sensor maker made one for my M35 that was compatible with the system and being programmed.

Also, at Walmart you may have gotten a universal one that's not compatible with your Jeep.

Walmart uses a universal TPMS that fits roughly 80% of cars. They may have not programmed them. They MUST be programmed at first or they will not work. Take it back to Walmart. They'll do it for free.

Took it back first thing this morning. They said a tire was low and they relearned them, all I need to do it drive it. Did the required 15MPH+ for about 30 mins. Still on. Took it back again, they tried to just get me to leave and were jerks. They told me to go to an autopart store to get the sensors myself and bring them in, and they'll only refund the sensors they put in, no labor or inconvenience fees. They won't refund me if I take it to another shop either.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
Took it back first thing this morning. They said a tire was low and they relearned them, all I need to do it drive it. Did the required 15MPH+ for about 30 mins. Still on. Took it back again, they tried to just get me to leave and were jerks. They told me to go to an autopart store to get the sensors myself and bring them in, and they'll only refund the sensors they put in, no labor or inconvenience fees. They won't refund me if I take it to another shop either.

This is why lots of Walmart's Automotive departments have closed! My three local Walmart's have all closed the Automotive shops.

Part of the snow tires/wheels pkg I bought from Town Fair Tire for the SE was TPMS sensors in the new wheels. The weather turned cold and the yellow tire signal started up. I froze while checking all 4 pressures in the driveway. All 4 were 32 PSI. I drove down to an air station and filled them to 38 PSI. Lights out. The door post said 35 psi. If they were aired at 35PSI at 70F and the temp is now in the teens.. then the TPMS trips at a loss of ~10%
grin2.gif

The Dorman catalog number is 974-001, which is a 315mhz. Ask Walmart to show you the specs. for what was put in yours.

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-20917-974-001.aspx
https://www.dormanproducts.com/flipbook/...publication.pdf

the Oreilly link needs more info to work for me (model, engine, etc.)

It seems that the 2004 Liberty used a 433mhz tpms (Dorman 974-02), so be careful that your 2005 might be made in 2004.

http://www.tpmsdirect.com/Jeep_Liberty_TPMS_s/290.htm

All of the internet info states that the Liberty simply needs a drive cycle to relearn the TPMS (no special procedures). Another possibility is that one of the new sensors is bad?? Or, they broke one during install??

Originally Posted By: andyd
Part of the snow tires/wheels pkg I bought from Town Fair Tire for the SE was TPMS sensors in the new wheels. The weather turned cold and the yellow tire signal started up. I froze while checking all 4 pressures in the driveway. All 4 were 32 PSI. I drove down to an air station and filled them to 38 PSI. Lights out. The door post said 35 psi. If they were aired at 35PSI at 70F and the temp is now in the teens.. then the TPMS trips at a loss of ~10%
grin2.gif

Common issue up in Canada. Every fall the service light makes you go out and air up the tires.

SF

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
The Dorman catalog number is 974-001, which is a 315mhz. Ask Walmart to show you the specs. for what was put in yours.

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-20917-974-001.aspx
https://www.dormanproducts.com/flipbook/...publication.pdf

the Oreilly link needs more info to work for me (model, engine, etc.)

It seems that the 2004 Liberty used a 433mhz tpms (Dorman 974-02), so be careful that your 2005 might be made in 2004.

http://www.tpmsdirect.com/Jeep_Liberty_TPMS_s/290.htm

All of the internet info states that the Liberty simply needs a drive cycle to relearn the TPMS (no special procedures). Another possibility is that one of the new sensors is bad?? Or, they broke one during install??

Thanks for the help everyone!
Mine's a July of 04 build date, so it could be either, reached out to some Liberty experts on another forum. The Walmart tool was able to communicate with all the sensors but I think the 2 new ones they put in are the wrong frequency and won't communicate with the Jeep.

Go to walmart. Bring a letter. Mention in the letter they messed up your TPMS and that they have a final shot of fixing it or you will go to the dealer for a proper fix and charge-back your credit card the amount applicable.

WM needs to order you the TPMS sensors on their dime through their contacts if they are to fix this.

As I said in post #2, be firm. They will try to stall you into giving up on this fight.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Go to walmart. Bring a letter. Mention in the letter they messed up your TPMS and that they have a final shot of fixing it or you will go to the dealer for a proper fix and charge-back your credit card the amount applicable.

WM needs to order you the TPMS sensors on their dime through their contacts if they are to fix this.

As I said in post #2, be firm. They will try to stall you into giving up on this fight.

Good advice. Use the credit card dispute as a very last resort. Your TransUnion credit score can take a big hit disputing a charge.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: eljefino

Good advice. Use the credit card dispute as a very last resort. Your TransUnion credit score can take a big hit disputing a charge.

I've used credit card dispute before and had my money refunded. My Credit card score is 808?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back