Thoughts on Purolator's tearing issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the transportation industry and I just picked up a truck load of filters at the Fayetteville, NC Purolator plant destined for John Deere. Sitting there getting loaded I saw literally hundreds of pallets of filters waiting pickup marked Motorcraft, Mopar, John Deere.

Then I realized why Purolator doesn't care that a few of us found torn filters. We are a drop in the ocean compared to their business for these major companies. I think that Purolator will continue to not address the tearing issues until one or more of the majors pulls their contract.

It's not only the tearing issues, they also have the cut ADBV problem on some of the higher end filters. As for me, I will not buy any more of any Purolator made filters. I will use what I have left of the Bosch Distance Plus and then I am done.

Until it hurts the bottom line, what is to change anything? Moral reasons? If that were the case, there would be a Puro(or any big boy company) sponsored quick lube attached to some charity organization building.
Off topic, nice accumulation of miles on the sprinter, are those all on one engine?

18.gif

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Until it hurts the bottom line, what is to change anything? Moral reasons? If that were the case, there would be a Puro(or any big boy company) sponsored quick lube attached to some charity organization building.
Off topic, nice accumulation of miles on the sprinter, are those all on one engine?

Yes, engine and transmission are original. I changed the EGR valve once, water pump twice and the driveshaft once, 3 of the 5 glow plugs and 1 injector. Still running strong, however I relegated it to dump duty once a month or so, so I won't put that many more miles on it before it rusts completely.

Last edited:
If everyone on BITOG knew they did it on purpose it wouldn't hurt their bottom line. People on BITOG don't comprise 1% of the Purolator market. The other 99% rarely even ever change their oil! In fact I have a feeling that a great percentage on BITOG don't even change their own oil!

Last edited:
Honey Badger don't care... and neither does Purolator.
As long as tears don't cause engines to fail, which they usually don't, this problem is invisible to almost all users of junk Purolator oil filters.
They just cause a little extra wear on the engine that people won't notice.
Therefore, corporate Purolator don't care.

Even when a filter tears on the ends of one pleat,
most of the oil is still going through the rest of the pleats.

Purolators "can" tear. Not all do.
The engines they are installed on seem to make it through just fine.
Until someone can PROVE this causes engine damage, they don't care.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Even when a filter tears on the ends of one pleat,
most of the oil is still going through the rest of the pleats.

Purolators "can" tear. Not all do.
The engines they are installed on seem to make it through just fine.
Until someone can PROVE this causes engine damage, they don't care.

+1

I personally have never had a problem with Purolator, now I go with the physically largest filter and choose that one. I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of the Puros.

Another thing that bug me is . Peoples here keep recommend fram TG or EG . Why not wix Napa gold .... they pretty much same price or not much different to make a different
crazy.gif
. I still hate the end cap not metal . I do give fram ultra best oil filter for the performance and moneys. Made me think .... half these peoples work for fram ?

I seen and seen peoples cut open fram oil TG /EG . It’s look sad 10 years ago and it’s look sad today .
mad.gif

Last edited:
A TG is more efficient than a WIX/NAPA Gold and about the same price. The EG is the same efficiency and cheaper in price. The non-metal end caps work just fine. Lots of filters don't have metal end caps. The Fram EG and TG end caps have looked pretty good in cut & posts over the last couple years - a lot better than some other brands.

The regular WIX and NAPA Golds are decent filters at 95% @ 20 microns, and the minimun efficiency limit I look for if considering buying oil filters.

My thoughts haven't changed, and most likely won't. I'm done with Purolator, there are much better filters for the same or less money. Why would I want to chance it?

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
Another thing that bug me is . Peoples here keep recommend fram TG or EG . Why not wix Napa gold .... they pretty much same price or not much different to make a different
crazy.gif
. I still hate the end cap not metal . I do give fram ultra best oil filter for the performance and moneys. Made me think .... half these peoples work for fram ?

I seen and seen peoples cut open fram oil TG /EG . It’s look sad 10 years ago and it’s look sad today .
mad.gif

If there was any way to get even a halfway decent deal on Wix, I would be all over it. I actually run their fuel filters on the F-450, but Wix/NG oil filters tend to cost me just as much or slightly more than an Ultra.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
....Another thing that bug me is. Why not wix Napa gold...

Why let it bug you. Use what you want and makes you happy, I do. Still prefer the Napa Gold/Wix spin on construction type combined with majority silicone adbv and solid efficiency. Also with semi annual local Napa Gold sale pricing putting them in same range or lower than EG, good to go for me.

As for topic, see rooflessVW post here. +1

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
My thoughts haven't changed, and most likely won't. I'm done with Purolator, there are much better filters for the same or less money. Why would I want to chance it?

+1 I agree with this. It can not be stated any better than this.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

+1 I agree with this. It can not be stated any better than this.

cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back