Can't find Ultra Platinum 0w20. For Maine winter

Status
Not open for further replies.

I own a 2010 Scion xB with 152k on it. Manual suggests either 0w20 or 5w20. I always used Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w20. I can't find Ultra Platinum 0w20 anywhere anymore, I needed to have the last oil change with Platinum 0w20.

I have a couple of questions confusing me;

-Should I use Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 since I am in Maine and it's usually below 0F or should I use 5w20 Ultra Platinum. There are some 0w20 Ultra Platinums on eBay but people are asking $50 per bottle.

-Is it OK if I change my oil brand after so many changes with the same brand? Mobil 1 Annual Protection seems like going for $40 and they have 0w20.

Thanks a lot in advance for insights.

Last edited:
Hey there, fellow Mainer here. I ran PUP 5w20 for the first 20,000 on wifey's explorer. No issues at all. Now run Mobil 1 0w20 AP. Would also run the AFE or EP without reservation!

Not sure if Mobil 1 0W20 is available in the EP version, EP is just a much better bank for the buck than AP

PP also a good alternative.

Toyota has often recommended 10,000 mile oil changes when using synthetic 0w20.

Amazon has single 5-quart jugs of Ultra 0w20 for $32 each, Amazon Prime free shipping.

I'd go with Walmart's Pennzoil Platinum (not Ultra) 0w20 for cheap, IF you really want to stick with Pennzoil.
Certainly any 0w20 you see on the shelf would do, but you've got a lot of miles on that aging Scion, so I'd recommend the Walmart Valvoline Maxlife full-synthetic 0w20 which meets dexos1 Gen2 and ACEA A5/B5, and the "High Mileage" formula has some extra seal conditioners to keep those old seals from springing leaks in the future.

I do recommend using a 0w20 over a 5w20 for below zero temperatures. There is a small amount of difference in flow at below zero between the two.

No problem with changing brands of oil.

Tell me about it! It is like they don't want to sell it. I have never found PUP 0W-40 anywhere except on the internet.

You can use any synthetic 0w20 with no problems
smile.gif

M1 EP and Edge Gold correspond the closest to PUP

Thanks a lot for all the inputs, I appreciate it. I know my car is aging and has a lot of miles on it and I was planning to change it to something with lower miles. I'm glad I didn't take the plunge since my financial situation started to go south lately unexpectedly. Therefore until I get on my feet again, I have to take good care of my car.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Toyota has often recommended 10,000 mile oil changes when using synthetic 0w20.

Amazon has single 5-quart jugs of Ultra 0w20 for $32 each, Amazon Prime free shipping.

I'd go with Walmart's Pennzoil Platinum (not Ultra) 0w20 for cheap, IF you really want to stick with Pennzoil.
Certainly any 0w20 you see on the shelf would do, but you've got a lot of miles on that aging Scion, so I'd recommend the Walmart Valvoline Maxlife full-synthetic 0w20 which meets dexos1 Gen2 and ACEA A5/B5, and the "High Mileage" formula has some extra seal conditioners to keep those old seals from springing leaks in the future.

I do recommend using a 0w20 over a 5w20 for below zero temperatures. There is a small amount of difference in flow at below zero between the two.

No problem with changing brands of oil.

I thought about using high mileage oils in order to have better protection but I did not for two reasons;

1- I couldn't find full synthetic high mileage oils. I didn't want blend synthetics just to have high mileage additives.
2- I got the car at 129k, at 130k car got a major engine work from Toyota, they changed pistons and pistons rings. Therefore I didn't know if my engine still counts as a regular high mileage engine or not. I heard that once you go high mileage oils it's better to keep changing it with the same high mileage oil with same additives so I didn't want to go that way without searching enough.

Is that oil full synthetic with high mileage properties? Is there anything else like that I can compare?

Thanks again for all the answers, I appreciate it.

Last edited:
QSUD 0w-20 seems like its always Available and the regular price is always $20 and some change. I used their 5w-30 in my Corolla right now and it works great.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: puredata
Is that oil full synthetic with high mileage properties? Is there anything else like that I can compare?

Valvoline 0w20 High Mileage Maxlife is a full syn, as is Mobil1 High Mileage 0w20. Favorite of mine is the Valvoline Maxlife, the only one with the dexos1 Gen2 rating, but its not A5/B5 in 0w20 as I previously said (A5/B5 is 5w30 only).
Its hard to go too wrong with any 0w20 you see though. Just Valvoline MaxLife preferred.

I don't think extra seal conditioners are ever a problem in older vehicles.
Having an older engine is fine as long as it runs.

Originally Posted By: Spector
Not sure if Mobil 1 0W20 is available in the EP version, EP is just a much better bank for the buck than AP

PP also a good alternative.

Any 0w20 would be fine. And where are you in Maine where it's "usually below 0F"? I don't know anywhere in Maine that has winter like that.

Originally Posted By: puredata

-Should I use Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 since I am in Maine and it's usually below 0F or should I use 5w20 Ultra Platinum.

Any 0w20 would be fine. And where are you in Maine where it's "usually below 0F"? I don't know anywhere in Maine that has winter like that.

Originally Posted By: jayg

Are there many places in Saskatchewan like that even, if being rigorous with the term usually?
wink.gif

Mobil 1** or Valvoline are NOT synthetic, but I had best luck with Valvoline 0w20 in the Wife's Subaru FB25 engine better than anything. PP didn't work well.

**The M1 Annual Protection may be synthetic (haven't seen the SDS) and the SDS says M1 EP 0w20 is synthetic - if you can trust this information and like Mobil Synthetics.

Why the worries?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back