Valvoline "Modern Engine Synthetic"

In Autozone today grabbing some Valvoline Synthetic and a long life STP filter on special for a friend's car and saw this new Valvoline oil. Searched on here and didn't see anything about it. Apparently aimed at GDI and TGDI engines... Valvoline sure is good at marketing. I'll stick with SynPower at 5k intervals in our 2015 Optima. Been doing fine for almost $20 less per jug. (More than $20 less at WalMart) I do wonder however, what different chemistry is involved in this oil.

2igbmsn.jpg

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
If this is for new cars and Max Life is for old cars, what is SynPower for?
Synpowr is for in between cars.

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
If this is for new cars and Max Life is for old cars, what is SynPower for?

According to Valvoline's marketing department, it's for cars 2011 and older with less than 75k on them.

I still use it in everything but the wife's car, love the stuff. Wife is a Mobil 1 fan and nothing I say will change it! Engines are all spotless inside. We currently have 5 cars on a diet of Valvoline and 1 on Mobil 1.

Seeing the price, I think this is their response to M1 AP having a higher price point.

Some customers may have gone for Mobil's higher priced oil, so Valvoline thinks they can get in on that too and Mobil's higher priced oil enhances the overall brand.

I saw that Pennzoil's Ultra product is now listed at Walmart as a $50 product as well.

The new bottles I’ve seen say Valvoline Advanced Synthetic. No mention of Synpower anywhere.

Could this be a new oil we are just seeing now? The price is way up there as well.

Originally Posted By: 69Torino
According to Valvoline's marketing department, it's for cars 2011 and older with less than 75k on them.

Except they're all SN/GF-5 and even dexos1 (where appropriate), so they're really all perfectly fine for brand new cars, too.

Pretty sure they are just dropping the "SynPower" moniker for the regular synthetic. Maybe just a packaging/name facelift. But this new oil has more than a facelift. On another note, this is yet another reason a GM product will never be in my driveway. They have created a world where people think they must buy products that are nearly co-branded to keep their engines from going belly up. This Dexos thing is out of hand in my opinion. If it's that big of a deal then The General should be changing their loyal customers' oil gratis.

69Torino ^^^, dexos1 is a higher performance standard. Thats really all it is. I wouldn't get too emotional about anything else. Just means we get better oils out there.

On a side note, I had to fight two GDI cars last Friday. One had a carbon fouled injector causing an intermittent misfire, and the other had random/multiple misfires from carbon on the valve seats. Both cars had less than 75k on them. One a Soul and the other a Sorento. The injector I replaced had to be soaked in Blaster and Top Engine Cleaner before it would come out of the head. The random misfire car had to have two rounds of GDI cleaner snake oil stuff ran through the intake and a full throttle road test to clear it up. This is what Kia instructed me to do. I can't believe that "oil designed for GDI cars" will in any way thwart these kind of issues.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
69Torino ^^^, dexos1 is a higher performance standard. Thats really all it is. I wouldn't get too emotional about anything else. Just means we get better oils out there.

Thanks for bringing me back down.
smile.gif

It is good to have competition in a free market economy.

Originally Posted By: 69Torino
I can't believe that "oil designed for GDI cars" will in any way thwart these kind of issues.

It might help with LSPI.... but I SERIOUSLY doubt it helps with any other issues.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
The new bottles I’ve seen say Valvoline Advanced Synthetic. No mention of Synpower anywhere.

Could this be a new oil we are just seeing now? The price is way up there as well.

Different label with a 70% increase in price!

Valvoline's answer to Mobil AP

Last edited:
Back