Which Vehicle Should I get rid off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, I believe it's a decision time for me. Fun, fun, ...

I have to sell one vehicle after recently acquiring an Acura TSX, which I am keeping. So left with 2, out which I have to get rid of one. Which one do you suggest?

1- 2003 Honda Civic LX - 150k, AT and had it since last 6-7 years and bought it with 60k on it. Did all front suspension components in 2017, except inner tie rods and axle, otherwise all front suspension is new. Timings belt, WP is good and have almost brand new Michelin tires, as well as all other fluids are fresh and maintenance is up to date. But it does burn oil, otherwise running like a champ and have had religious changes for ATF with Honda ATF.

2-2008 Honda Civic LX - 155k, AT and bought it in 2017. Front 2 tires will possibly need to be replaced in next few thousand miles. Suspension still seems to be original, otherwise running like a champ. Doesn't burn oil or anything and PO replaced whole A/C compressor, blower etc... and have done other regular maintenance too.

Now real question is, which one I should get rid of? Seem like 2008 is a safe bet since I won't be getting too much loss. 03 can be driven to ground and probably won't sell for much right now.

Anything you guys would suggest? Thanks for your help and advice
thumbsup2.gif

I don't think either will bring you a whole lot price wise. Personally, I would keep the newer of the two, especially since it does not burn oil.

You can put them both up for sale, and keep the leftover one. Can't go too wrong either way.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
I don't think either will bring you a lot price wise. Personally, I keep the newer of the two unless there is some other compelling reason, but in this case I don't think there is.

Put them both up for sale, and keep the leftover one. Can't go too wrong either way.

Actually, that's a really good pint in terms of putting both out at the same time and see which one will go or try with each for 2 weeks and then see what happens!

Never thought of it this way
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
Ditch the 08. You'll get more, and sounds like the 03 has been better maintained with a better history.

Honestly, that's what I have been planning to do as well. But haven't firmly made up my mind.

Because 03 is a good beater too. I mean, 08 isn't a Maserati but it's cosmetically in better condition than 03 too
laugh.gif

Ditch the 08. You'll get more, and sounds like the 03 has been better maintained with a better history.

Agreed. I would sell the 2008 since you can also get more money for it.

Both engines do have the potential for some expensive issues, but the chances of occurrence are not very high.

I’d keep the 03’ since you know the history, and it sounds like it’s ready to go without work needed. Selling the 08’ will probably bring more money too

Keep the 03. What you sell the 03 for will get eaten by the tires on the 08. The oppopsite is not true. Since the beater will not get driven much, the oil burning issue is a non issue. Unless its a leaker. Then drip pans may be the pita that pushes you over.

Insurance and registration should be cheaper with the 03 as well.

Well, here's my 2 cents...
49.gif

I drive a vehicle until it just flat isn't worth keeping anymore.

"there are no Joneses" to keep up with.

I always factor in insurance costs, also....

It sounds like both gets you from A to B. Keep the cheaper one, if changing timing belt every few years doesn't bother you. And don't worry about oil consumption, all it needs 1 grade thicker oil.

I wouldn't use the TSX as a daily driver. I'd drive it enough to keep it running well. But I'd drive the 03 and the 08 into the ground to preserve the TSX.

Last edited:
Six weeks from now is the beginning of tax season and you should see a healthy spike on the price of both vehicles.

Here's the deal. You probably went window shopping last year because you got bored of your daily driver. There's no crime there. We all go through that type of stage with cars that end up as long-term keepers.

But you have to ask yourself one important question...

"Will I be perfectly happy driving this car for another 5 years?"

If your answer to either one is no, sell it and move on.

Also, ignore the folks telling you to buy new. They don't pay your tax bill. If you buy a 2010 to 2012 version of what you want, the depreciation isn't going to amount to all that much.

All the best!

Steven Lang

P.S. I would keep the '03 and add oil when needed. The oil burn forces you to monitor the fluid levels which is a good habit on an older vehicle.

Last edited:

Unless the 03 has many more cosmetic or rust issues, I'd go this route. I assume the Acura you got is much nicer, so the civic you keep is just meant as a beater.

The 08 may be marginally heavier/safer, but I'm not sure it's enough to matter.

The other wild card may be AC on the 03.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Unless the 03 has many more cosmetic or rust issues, I'd go this route. I assume the Acura you got is much nicer, so the civic you keep is just meant as a beater.

The 08 may be marginally heavier/safer, but I'm not sure it's enough to matter.

The other wild card may be AC on the 03.

+1

Originally Posted By: CT8
Sell both and buy a new car.
This^^^^^. Why pay insurance and maintenance on 2 cars when you just pay for 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back