RockAuto OEM Toyota copy oilfilter cut open 4876mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
This will be the last one of these filters that I post as it was the last one that I had left in my stash. This filter was in use for 4876 miles with API SL rated QS Defy 5w20 from last years AZ clearance. Another Rock Auto clearance filter replaced this filter but this time it was an Affina made Car Quest Red 85348. ADBV on this filter provided minimal ADBV function, second filter in a row that I noted this on, valve was stiff but still somewhat pliable.

I forgot to mention above, this came off of my 2004 Lexus ES330 with the 3MZ-FE engine. The car had 175,040 miles on it at the time of service and currently consumes no oil to speak of. Replacement oil was 3 remaining quarts of QS Defy 5w20 high zinc SL oil, 1 quart of (non GTL) Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5w30 and 1 Quart of PYB 20w50. All were leftovers and odd quarts leftover from last year's AZ clearance. I know it seems like an odd mix but I figured I'd stick to all SOPUS to try and mitigate any add pack difference between brands. I'll service and sample again in 5,000 miles.

Look's a decent filter

I've got a bunch of OEM Toyota units for my Camry, and I've had excellent success with the 910S, with it's silicone ADBV and base end bypass

Looks good to me sir
smile.gif

Thanks for c&p

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
Do you mind measuring the filter's outside length from end cap to end cap? I'd appreciate it. Thank You.

I can do that, but why? It's within about 1/8 of an inch of a MC FL-910S or a Fram PH-3614. If you require the information I'll grab a dial caliber and go measure it.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Look's a decent filter

I've got a bunch of OEM Toyota units for my Camry, and I've had excellent success with the 910S, with it's silicone ADBV and base end bypass

I have also had excellent luck with the FL-910S, I have an older stock one without louvers sitting on the shelf in the garage that I'll probably use on the next oil change in my 4Runner as it takes the same filter as the Lexus.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
I can do that, but why? It's within about 1/8 of an inch of a MC FL-910S or a Fram PH-3614. If you require the information I'll grab a dial caliber and go measure it.

I want to compare it to a WIX 51040XP that I cut open yesterday. That filter measures 2.250 inches from end cap to end cap. That is a tiny filter! How much filtering it that going to do? You don't need dial calipers; a tape measure is good enough for me. Much appreciated. Thanks.

I want to compare it to a WIX 51040XP that I cut open yesterday. That filter measures 2.250 inches from end cap to end cap. That is a tiny filter! How much filtering it that going to do? You don't need dial calipers; a tape measure is good enough for me. Much appreciated. Thanks.

It's 3 3/8" tall from the base gasket to the highest point on the dome end of the can.

Just the filter element with the end caps in place. Top of metal end cap to Top of metal end cap. Thanks.

2.5625"

2.5625"

I knew it! Even a Toyota filter is longer! I don't know what GM was thinking when they specified an oil filter for the 3.8L V6. But if you buy a new car like a Camaro with the 3.6L V6, they give you a much longer filter.

I wonder what a UOA report would be like for wear metals?

If you measured the outside diameter of the filter and selected a matching
FilterMag, the next time you cut open a filter you'll see all the wear metals
the media does not catch and you'll be better off for it!

I wish I could do it for my last new car from day-one, but dealers are awful!! been doing
on my out-of-warranty for last 4 yrs!

Originally Posted By: i_hate_autofraud

I wonder what a UOA report would be like for wear metals?

If you measured the outside diameter of the filter and selected a matching
FilterMag, the next time you cut open a filter you'll see all the wear metals
the media does not catch and you'll be better off for it!

I wish I could do it for my last new car from day-one, but dealers are awful!! been doing
on my out-of-warranty for last 4 yrs!

I will have a UOA coming for this filter in the not too distant future as well as the previous run which also used this filter. The only data point I have on wear metals using one of these filters was using PYB SAE 30 and it posted single digit Fe numbers over 5,000 miles. This engine sheds almost no iron. I've even run past 10,000 miles with Fe still in the single digits. I won't bother with a filter magnet, this engine will far and away out live my need for this car or the body of the car. I'll post a UOA when it comes in. I'll find the UOA I have for the last oil change sample using one of these cheap filters.

As has been discussed before about the comparison is nobody really knows the efficiency of the "copy" filter.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
As has been discussed before about the comparison is nobody really knows the efficiency of the "copy" filter.

It's anyone's guess really, the media is thin even by Fram Extra Guard standards, so my gut feeling would be less than (potentially significantly less than) 80% at 20 microns. Happy new year Z06!

That's why I question the accuracy of the particle count data. Just sayin' ... Happy New Year too!
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back