Blood, plasma, platelet shortage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have noticed this year especially a shortage of blood, plasma and platelet shortage. There is higher number of accidents and people don’t donate as much. I donate every 2-3 weeks as I can do 24 times year in PA.

Red Cross called me and I said I’m already donating

Anyone else notice this?

I do what I can and help a local food bank as often as I can
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ZZman
I have started giving whole blood again. Used to do platelets.

As a fellow platelet donor; thanks for doing it
smile.gif

I have donated over 10 gallons. The scarring on my veins is requiring more skill on the part of the phlebotomist. A bad one damaged my left vein.
Thanks to all who donate, someday I may need some and hope enough new donors step up to provide what is needed.

Rod

Central Jersey Blood Center bleeder here, they have a decent point system for donations. Redeem points for gift cards. I did donate a kidney to a total stranger in 2004 as well, living well with the remaining one and the recipient is doing well too.

Last edited:
We get an annual medical here and I have suggested they take a voluntary, optional blood donation at the same time, since they are already making a hole in people, which is the main reason people don't donate.

Very little chance of overcoming the bureauocratic inertia though.

Last edited:
I retired after 35yrs from regular donating after 25 gallons of whole blood + platelets. It's high time the younger generation give their arms, blood products & time to the worthy cause.

Sleeves up please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back