Ecotec 5.3 oil filter bypass PSI discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 5.3 GDI L83 in my 2014 Silverado has a variable displacement oil pump and per GM requires a high PSI bypass oil filter:

Originally Posted By: GM

Today's engine has very tight tolerances, two stage oil pumps and high flow lubrication system requirements. The proper match of oil filter to engine application is more important than it has ever been in the past. The use of a replacement oil filter with an internal bypass valve opening pressure specifications of 15 PSI (100 kPa) or less, allows debris to circulate in the engine causing damage to bearings and other tight tolerances areas, which may result in premature engine failure.

The oil pressure was increased to accommodate these tighter tolerances. As a result, the oil filter specifications of the production oil filter and the service oil filter were also improved to meet the new engine requirements.

Beginning in 2012, the oil pumps began to regulate main gallery feedback instead of pump out pressure. This means that the oil pump now does not begin to regulate until pressure is built up to the main gallery. This change reduces the amount of time it takes to provide oil to the engine bearing and lifters during extreme cold start conditions.

Main gallery feedback oil pump control systems are present on the following engine families which use Spin-on oil filters: Small Gas Engine (SGE), Large Gas Engine (LGE), High Feature (HFV6) Gen2 and Small Block Gen5 gasoline engines. These engines with the main gallery feedback oil pump control systems are factory built with an ACDelco® oil filters.

Important: The PF64 and PF63, which is commonly confused by many in the automobile service industry as an ACDelco® PF48 and/or PF48E , because both oil filters have the same appearance and oil can size. However these oil filters are not the same and have different internal bypass valve opening pressure specifications (PF48/PF48E = 15 PSI (100 kPa), PF64/PF63E = 22 PSI (150 kPa).

Note: Any aftermarket filter must also have an internal bypass valve opening pressure specification, element integrity, filtration performance, media particle trap specification and burst strength that is equivalent to the ACDelco PF64/PF63E filters.

The following filters are recommended for my truck by the filter manufacturer with their bypass setting listed:

Wix 50745 - 12-15 PSI
Fram PH10575 - 9-15 PSI
Mobil 1 M1212A - unknown bypass rating
Purolator L22500 - 22 PSI
Bosch 3502 - 15.5 PSI

Now, if you take the Fram PH10575 and cross this filter into the Wix website it gives you Wix 57502 and magically the 57502 has a 22 PSI bypass but is NOT the recommended Wix filter for my truck. Crossing the Purolator L22500 yields the Wix 57502 as well. Fram seems to point at the PH10575 no matter what cross you try.

GM claims you need 15 PSI bypass minimum and the GM filter even runs higher at 22 PSI.

What filter would you run and why?

Why would GM spec the PF63E at 22 PSI but then allow replacement filters to be 15 PSI?

I was wondering about this also. I run the Fram XG10575 in my `16 Suburban L83. I also have some Wix 50745 in stock I haven't run yet. Can't bring myself to use an e-core.

Can a PF64 be used in place of a PF63E?

Originally Posted By: 04SE

Why would GM spec the PF63E at 22 PSI but then allow replacement filters to be 15 PSI?

What does GM have to do with aftermarket filters?

Does that mean I should be running a PF64 on my wifes 2012 Covette Grand Sport with an LS3 or the PF48 like I am running?

Originally Posted By: zfasts03
Does that mean I should be running a PF64 on my wifes 2012 Covette Grand Sport with an LS3 or the PF48 like I am running?

No, LS3's have standard oil pumps, PF48 is the correct filter for your car.

Note: Any aftermarket filter must also have an internal bypass valve opening pressure specification, element integrity, filtration performance, media particle trap specification and burst strength that is equivalent to the ACDelco PF64/PF63E filters.

Strong statement! I wonder why we are not hearing of any problems with aftermarket filters with lower relief valve opening pressures in real world use.

Strong statement! I wonder why we are not hearing of any problems with aftermarket filters with lower relief valve opening pressures in real world use.

Hence this thread in the hopes of some good discussion.

I have used ONLY Napa Gold 7045 (same as wix 57045) on my L83 since day one. Im at 79,000 miles now and never heard of this before. Im not too worried about it!

I done see any filter going into bypass mode all that often. It would have to be fairly plugged up for it to be bypassing or the gpm are supper high. Would be nice to know flow rate on ecotec's veriable displacemet pump. I have same motor I'm my gmc as well.

Having owned several Subarus (and having dealt with high bypass pressure filter requirements in all of those, here is how I understand it based on posts from a few here and a few phone calls with Fram Tech Dept:

The bypass pressure of a filter represents the DIFFERENCE in pressure between the clean and dirty sides of the filter media; the restriction of the media to the oil flow. And synthetic filter media such as Fram Ultra, Wix XP, Amsoil EaO, Royal Purple, etc offer significantly less restriction to flow for the same beat ratio/efficiency than cellulose or hybrid cellulose/syn fiber media. What I was told by Fram Tech for my subarus was that the Fram Ultra has enough flow capability to seldom go into bypass even with cold conventional oil.

As long as syn media is being used, I have a difficult time seeing this being a huge issue, though the disclosure is welcome coming from GM as a preemptive measure NOW and not an "ooops" five years from now.

Now, if you take the Fram PH10575 and cross this filter into the Wix website it gives you Wix 57502 and magically the 57502 has a 22 PSI bypass but is NOT the recommended Wix filter for my truck. Crossing the Purolator L22500 yields the Wix 57502 as well. Fram seems to point at the PH10575 no matter what cross you try.

This is the danger of cross referencing. When it comes to Wix, they make two or more filters in some cases that are covered by one part number by other manufacturers. Wix clearly sees a difference, for instance, between the 51358 and the 51365, and the 57356 versus the 51356. My preference, when there are things like this in doubt, would be go to with Wix or OEM, AC in this case.

As for comparing bypass from one filter to another, that is problematic.

Buford I completely agree. There is very soldem filter will bypass. I think most people don't understand that it's the difference between filter inlet and filter outlet. Also I think GM is pushing thier filters a bit too hard too.
If someone comes up with a way to test filter's bypass I wouldn't mind testing it.

What filter would you run and why?

Fram XG10575

Efficient, Well made and no known failures.

Because.....

THIS statement is really a glorified old wive's tale, and nothing more that that. (proven false in real life)
"The use of a replacement oil filter with an internal bypass valve opening pressure specifications of 15 PSI (100 kPa) or less, allows debris to circulate in the engine causing damage to bearings and other tight tolerances areas, which may result in premature engine failure"

Yeah, right....... it never really happens.

Originally Posted By: JeePing

If someone comes up with a way to test filter's bypass I wouldn't mind testing it.

Here you go:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3197094/

thumbsup2.gif

I would make sure by dealer with VIN number, or contacting GM as to what is correct. Better safe than sorry.

The way I read the GM statement, the oil sender WAS placed before the oil filter, on the oil pump output, and now they put it after in the galleries on those particular engines. This could explain pressure and noise problems when using different filters on these engines with feedback relief valves. I thought it was excellent information from GM.

Originally Posted By: Garak
As for comparing bypass from one filter to another, that is problematic.

Yep, because the bypass pressure valve setting is primarily determined by the filter's design (ie, flow restiction, holding capacity and the strenght of the media to endure delta-p).

If comparing all the filters specified for the vehicle, there will be some differences in their bypass settings driven by the filter design. A more flow restrictive filter will probably have a little higher bypass valve setting.

Vehicles with super high volume oil pumps (ie, turbo Subarus) will typically have a specific filter designed for them with a much higher bypass valve setting, and those particular filters won't be specified to be used on any other vehicles (another hint to their special supplication). Where on the other hand, some filter models are specified to be used on 100s of different vehicles, all with one bypass setting.

Bottom line is if a filter manufacture specifies a filter for a vehicle, then the bypass valve is set to correctly, even if it doesn't match the OEM filter's bypass setting.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
The way I read the GM statement, the oil sender WAS placed before the oil filter, on the oil pump output, and now they put it after in the galleries on those particular engines. This could explain pressure and noise problems when using different filters on these engines with feedback relief valves. I thought it was excellent information from GM.

How I read it is the pump's pressure relief valve is controlled by the pressure sensed in the main oil gallery instead of at the pump's output port. So if there was a reatively flow restrictive filter installed, the pump would work harder without hitting pressure relief to maintain required oil pressure in the main oil supply gallery. It's to ensure the engine isn't starved of oil, so shouldn't be causing any engine noises or oil pressure problems if working correctly.

That method of oil pressure control has no association with where the sensor for the oil pressure gage on the dash is located.

The oil filter bypass valve setting isn't dependant on the oil pressure, just the delta-p created by the media's flow restriction, the oil temp/viscosity, max holding capacity and the max expected oil pump flow volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back