Power steering fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR1

Does anyone know how many quarts of power steering fluid is needed to complete a power steering flush and refill on a 2000 f150 4.6 v8 ?

Last edited:
I'd say you'd be fine with 2 quarts. That said, it'll probably be just a tad more for a gallon.

What kind of fluid would you use as the final fill? I ask because my pal has the same vehicle in a 1997 vintage.

I want to "rinse" his ancient fluid with some clear, generic PS fluid then displace that with proper fluid.

My truck take Mercon V as power steering fuild. I was going to complete the job with Mobil 1 ATF.

Originally Posted By: lawnguy
My truck take Mercon V as power steering fuild. I was going to complete the job with Mobil 1 ATF.

I have NEVER heard of any vehicle that "needed" a synthetic power steering fluid.

I always just use what ever hydraulic fluid is cheap at the farm store.

If the fluid is dark then the system needs cleaned or your new fluid will just get dark again fast.

I'm of the opinion there is so little fluid in the PS system that a flush does little good. Might just as well open the cooler hose and let it drain out and refill.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: lawnguy

I have NEVER heard of any vehicle that "needed" a synthetic power steering fluid.

I always just use what ever hydraulic fluid is cheap at the farm store.

Many Euro cars spec synthetic CHF 11S and CHF 202 are common replacement fluids for these applications.

What takes ATF? Not the ones that take CHF 11s or 202.

Quote:
Pentosin: Some vehicle specifications state CHF 7.1, CHF 11S and CHF 202 can be substituted, but not mixed with, CHF 7.1. CHF 11S and CHF 202 are fully compatible and mixable. Pentosin fluids should not be mixed with ATF fluids. Power Steering: Power steering specifications are set by the OE.

Some vehicles you cannot. Try that in any of the vehicles that Trav is thinking of, and "many mechanics" will be changing pumps and racks in short order.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back