Ford Bucket Truck to Flatbed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend has a 2000-ish F550 bucket truck, perhaps selling it. If I can get a good deal on it how hard would it be to convert it to a flatbed truck? It's a 7.3 powerstroke duallie. I mean, I like the service body but the bucket is so huge it's a pain in the you know what. It doesn't fit through 90% of all drivethrus lol.

My biggest concern is the bucket thing has a pto, is this seperate or part of the transmission or what?

I'd hope that I could sell the whole bucket/utility body off the truck and then just find a flatbed to put on it with that money or have something simple fabricated.

Other problem is it's got all the emissions [censored] removed, idk if i can even register it in Cali. I think he registered it as a commercial vehicle in another state to avoid smogging it.

Last edited:
If the PTO is ran off the transmission.....Just remove the PTO & install a PTO block-off cover which are readily available.

Medium Duty trucks are great when making you money. They suck as daily drivers! Dealing with 19.5" tires alone is a deal breaker for me.

Who would buy a used bucket then install it on "whatever"? There's a chance the whole rig would have to be certified by someone who knows what they're doing for OSHA/insurance reasons.

Let your friend sell this rig to some tree service people or whatever.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Let your friend sell this rig to some tree service people or whatever.

thanks, sounds like a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back