Orange can fram in a 2004 stratus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys how long would you run an orange can fram on a 41te trans cooler line? I don't think it's so much as a mileage but a time frame that concerns me. Are those filters good to go for a year or say 18 moth in that kind of aplication?

Last edited:
I'd say 2 years/ 20k miles and then cut it open and see how it looks. Extend from there depending on how it looks. I ran my last atf filter for about 4 years/ 20k (this vehicle idles a lot, I'd estimate that it had 800-1,000 hours of runtime on it in those 20K miles) miles on my Tacoma. It still looked fine and could have gone much longer.

Originally Posted By: BlakeB
This filter was on my 2007 Tacoma (A750F) for about 4 years/20K miles. The Toyota WS was flushed via the cooler line at 58,825 in July 2013, spin-on (1269) was added around that time. The pan was drained and filled with Valvoline Maxlife ATF along with a spin-on filter change(1269) at 80,102 miles on 4/17/17. The debris on the top of the filter and inside the canister are from me cutting it open with an angle grinder and cutoff wheel. I also had a strong magnet on the outside of the canister, it caught a little metal, but really isn't necessary IMO. The filter is plumbed in after the radiator, but before the aux cooler. I have one more 1269 in my stash of filters, after that I'm thinking that I'll just use the same filter as I'm using on my engine, a Thailand made Toyota 90915-YZZD3. I have also considered an M1-209 or XG8A. Thoughts?

Yep a new set up. I think I'm gona take it off after an oil change and go with an ultra. Then just leave it on for the life after change after that.
Thand for your help

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I'd screw on an Ultra and send the car to the scrap yard with the same filter installed.

Yes..... Pretty much.

I see FRAM orange cans used as hydraulic filters (Typically the PH8A) on lot of oddball equipment, and they often go more than 10 years without getting replaced.

Transmission filters do NOT get "loaded" like an engine filter does.
All they deal with is some tiny little wear bits, and not much at that.
They see no sludge, no carbon from combustion by-products, etc. etc. etc.

I dare you to cut a few open.
It'll bore you to death how clean they are inside, even after years of use.

Trans fluid is NON-detergent.
A lot of the nasty gunk stays on the bottom of the trans pan and doesn't really find it's way to the filter. Some of the gunk finds it's way into the can, but not tons of it.

Now while you are at it... don't forget to add a few of these guys:

Originally Posted By: Linctex

Here is where I always place my neodymiums:
full-76552-8628-img_0036.jpg

Originally Posted by Linctex
Now while you are at it... don't forget to add a few of these guys:

Originally Posted by Linctex

Here is where I always place my neodymiums:
[Linked Image]

I do that same thing on my oil filters. Always slot of metal sludge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back