Astronaut John Young RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
What an extraordinary life John Young lived. He was there from the beginning, through all three space programs, walked on the Moon and flew the first shuttle flight with fellow Astronaut Crippen.

What a bright, shining star. One history will not soon forget.

Godspeed John Young!

Summary: Here

I'm so sorry to hear this. There are only 5 of the 12 remaining. It was always a dream of mine to meet one of the men who walked on the moon.

John Young was one of my boyhood heroes. I was quite the space buff in my early teens, and always enjoyed the corned beef sandwich story. So he outlived his Gemini 3 partner, Gus Grissom, by almost 51 years.

He spoke here at the Convention Centre in early '82, and I attended along with some of my college classmates. He was a very good speaker, and opened with something like "Well, it was 80 degrees in Houston this morning, and about -35 here when I got off the plane, so that's comparable to the temperature differentials we experience in space."

Young & Crippen's first Shuttle flight of April 20, 1981, was 20 years to the day after Yuri Gagarin's first manned orbit spaceflight.

RIP John Young - now all of the Mercury astronauts are gone, and Geminis are thinning out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back