First Oil Change - Thanks Everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

I've been lurking (and continue to lurk) the last few months after I purchased my first "newish" vehicle after years of getting by on slightly older cars and a lease I didn't have much control over. I learned as much as I could about maintenance and upkeep, and I really wanted to learn how to change the oil myself and what the options were.

There's such a wealth of knowledge here, collectively, in the community. Opinions too. They all range from oil brands, types, situational and contextual facts and figures. A general reliance upon facts, statistics, and bird-in-hand knowledge combined with wisdom and real world experience that I think you can't find anywhere else. You guys are all great. All of you. Even if you don't think you did, if you're reading this, you played some part in helping me learn how to properly take care of my car during my larger journey of research and hands-on work. Thank you.

It's a shame how something as integral as motor oil and engine health is given such a wide berth culturally in our society of ownership. There's this reinforced foregone conclusion that you have to put your fate in the hands of others to take care of this low-hanging fruit of upkeep. Not that there is anything wrong with that at all - I have a very good relationship with my local independent certified mechanics - but I had no idea how much I could be allowed to have a hand in knowing how to take care of such a huge personal investment as a vehicle. It just wasn't part of my education, upbringing, or anything. I don't even do it for cost-savings, or longer interval changes, or anything like that. I do it because I have the ability to know what I'm putting in my car, and how it happened. That is really cool to me, and something I really didn't think I could do.

I really do not have anyone else in my life to share this with, so with your collective permission and acceptance I hope to share it here. This mundane action that is incidentally insignificant, and hopefully indicative of broader experience and knowledge to come. It is trivial, and yet, it means a lot to me.

I fully expect the usual barrage of internet forum hijinks that range from collective yawns to positive rejoinders of support, but that's okay. You all have shared ownership being the architects of my journey. So this is for you regardless.

Anyway, cheers guys. I go back to blend into the background of this place but wanted to step out to say this. Have a great rest of your weekend. And a good week to follow.

welcome2.gif

Where in Ohio are you buddy?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: CaptainBiggles
Columbus - originally from Toledo.
smile.gif

Rockets or Buckeye fan? Sorry, I gots to know. GO OSU!!

Well, Buckeye by circumstance but my mom is a prof at UT so I have to share that allegiance a lil bit. She's going to retire next year, in fact.

To make things even more complicated, I'm a Falcon.

Last edited:
Congrats on the oil change. I find myself looking forward to changing my oil. And I agree, it is amazing how few people change their own oil anymore. It doesn’t help that most don’t care and find going to a quick lube just as easy (and often cheaper if they bother to price check). When I tell people I change my own oil they look at me like I just started speaking Greek.

I also really enjoy simple things such as oil changes, the satisfaction of knowing I did it, that it was done right and that I was the one who selected the components that were used. I also approve of your choice of oil and filter (not that it matters as it's your car and your decision to make). I just changed the oil on a coworkers Kia Soul this morning, it also was treated to an OEM filter replacing the Purolator that Pep Boys installed on its last service while I was overseas. It did not get M1 EP, it did get some Peak 5w30 from a Napa clearance.

Thanks for posting and enjoy the fruits of your labor!

Welcome young man! The OEM is well built for your application, but the efficiency ratings are not that great. I use the same oil filter in my Montero. I wish BITOG was online in the early 90's. lol. Digest the information and form your own opinions, based on facts. Kudos for changing your own oil!

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Nothing wrong with that! Congrats buddy. Good choice of oil, as well.

Personally, I detest doing oil changes.

Let me rephrase: I detest doing oil changes on OTHER PEOPLE'S cars. I'm a mechanic for a living, and besides there being no money to be made doing LOF's (lube, oil, filter) you constantly run into issues due to some one else's incompetence. Stripped drain plugs, filters installed by King Kong, pan savers, you name it.

That being said, I do enjoy changing my own oil. Checking that initial level to see how much oil it (didn't, in my case) use, enjoying the golden brown even after 5k miles because my car is well maintained, spinning off the filter with just a flick of the wrist because seated + 1/8 of a turn is MORE than enough. It's the little things in life I suppose, especially in this line of work.

Welcome. Glad to hear that you have joined the ranks of the oil change do-it-yourself crowd. Beyond the savings, it is very satisfying to be able to do maintenance on your own car, and be confident in exactly what has been done.

I'm 65 and still do mine. Started at 18. Recently did a cartridge for the first time. My best friend is 57. Told me last week he had never changed his own oil and figured he was too old to start.

Originally Posted By: Old Mustang Guy
I'm 65 and still do mine. Started at 18. Recently did a cartridge for the first time. My best friend is 57. Told me last week he had never changed his own oil and figured he was too old to start.

He just doesn't know what he is missing out on!

Another congratulations and welcome here. Satisfying to know it's done just the way you want it done!

Congrats.

I started doing my own oil changes about 5 years ago. I'm glad I do them myself, just don't like the occasional mess especially with awkwardly placed filters. Partially fixed that by using a Fumoto valve and switching to Fram Ultra which stays on for 3 oils changes.

I don't think there's anything wrong with not doing an oil change yourself. In fact, it's probably a good idea to have someone else take a look at a few other things once a year or so. I always advise people to get cheap dealer oil changes that include multi point inspections, but to only go to well rated dealers and get second opinions on any suggested repairs.

Rather than starting with diy oil changes, I would encourage an owner to do diy cabin and engine air filter changes. Or point out that Walmart do them for free or a few bucks.

Originally Posted By: CharlieBauer

Rather than starting with diy oil changes, I would encourage an owner to do diy cabin and engine air filter changes. Or point out that Walmart do them for free or a few bucks.

I taught myself air and cabin filter changes first. This is the next step.
smile.gif

Next OCI after I'm done I'm having my local guys look at it for regular check-up. I agree. As nice as it is to do it myself I dont want to be remiss for my other upkeep observations.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back