2017 Subaru Legacy how to drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im a new legacy owner, never a subaru before...anyway...on practically very start up unless completely warmed up the engine revs to 1600 rpms ish and stays there for a few minutes before it starts to come down below 1000 to 750 rpms...so my question is , Number 1. Is this a normal thing ? number 2. Is it better to let it warm up a bit and lower rpms before shifting into gear? also when the gears are shifted a slight delay occurs before it goed from reverse to drive about 1.5 seconds(CVT( transmission) ...Im used to my lucerne starting up and dropping down to idle in 15 seconds, not racing like the subaru...so bottom line what is the BEST Preferred way to drive these cars.. ? thanks

It has slightly higher RPM on cold start up to warm up the cats for emissions. On a cold start I will try to let it idle down before taking off, but the oil is everywhere it needs to be within seconds. Just be gentle until it fully warms up.

Yes, it’s normal. 1600 rpm is not racing.

I don’t know where in the Northeast you are, so warmup time will vary depending on whether you’re living in New Jersey or Maine, and also if it’s garaged in a heated space.

If your car’s engine is below 30°, warm it up for a minute. If it’s much colder, perhaps two or three. Other than that, get in and drive.

All normal, rpm's start dropping at 122f coolant (takes 3 to 4 seconds to drop). I wait until 100f coolant (added gauge) then shift to neutral, rpm's drop to idle, then engage drive/reverse. I don't like dropping an auto into gear at high rpm's.

These CVT's are a bit slower to engage from park to drive/reverse, than previous autos I've owned, other than that, I like the way it operates.

After the emissions system lights off the cat you can shift to neutral prior to Drive or Reverse and RPM will lower to
I start my 2015 in the garage and roll it out in neutral. By the time the garage door is shut, RPM has fallen to less than 1,000 and I shift to Drive.

It's exactly how my 3 Subarus (2012, 2014 and 2016) have always cold started. I start it and go. Pretty much never have time or care to start it and let it sit there doing nothing but burn fuel.

If you want to wait for the engine to warm to the point the RPMs will drop on their own, it takes a few minutes of run time in COLD temps.

Last edited:
Just accelerate gently until the engine is warm. It might take a few miles, the 2.5 is really slow to warm up.

Originally Posted By: JTK
It's exactly how my 3 Subarus (2012, 2014 and 2016) have always cold started. I start it and go. Pretty much never have time or care to start it and let it sit there doing nothing but burn fuel.

If you want to wait for the engine to warm to the point the RPMs will drop on their own, it takes a few minutes of run time in COLD temps.

Nope. Shift to neutral after 10-15 seconds and the RPM drops. Our Forester is not the same and shifting at 1500 RPM can't be helped without sitting for forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back