Supertech 5w-30 syn; 7k mi; 2014 IS350 60k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, such a nice car and you throw that POS oil filter on it. At least run a mid grade filter, but if it was me, I'd run a Fram Ultra if you like Fram so much. It provides better filtration and that's the main thing that matters in an oil filter.

Pretty good looking report otherwise.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: Youthanasia
thanks guys, I was concerned going that far that's why I went 5w-30 instead of 5w-20...these miles are mostly highway at 80 to 95mph, 100 mile 1 way commute to work so I jam, plenty of WOT
That is a perfect situation for Mobil1 Annual Protection, the latest tech from XOM. Walmart. Use that for 20,000 miles and save labor-time costs. Even DIY self-labor is costly to a busy person. Then, if using the Fram ExtraGaurd, change oil filter at 10k miles. You could go the whole 20k on a Fram Ultra though.

I agree. M1 EP (or AP if it's reduced) and a Fram Ultra.

In this instance, you could probably run the Fram Ultra 30k to 40k. User UncleDave has shown that it's not a problem and filtering efficiency improves allowing the oil to be run longer.

UOA on EP or AP at 15k to see how far it can go too.

Could even think of using microgreen filters to extend the life of the oil here.

Originally Posted By: Youthanasia
No make up oil, I let it run out about a quart before I collected it straight into the collection bottle during the drain. It was black as [censored] and smelled like gas big time though

Black color isn't an issue.
Gas smell isn't an issue either .

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Originally Posted By: Linctex
I'll bet that oil can handle 12.5K or more.... the numbers look great

Yep Id say so. Id start with 10-11k and retest just to see. I think 10k changes could be done with no worry. 10k out of that combo is a great deal and appears to be doing great in the engine. Proof that color and smell is not a good way to judge if oil needs changing.
+1

Originally Posted By: Artem
Man, such a nice car and you throw that POS oil filter on it. At least run a mid grade filter, but if it was me, I'd run a Fram Ultra if you like Fram so much. It provides better filtration and that's the main thing that matters in an oil filter.

Maybe it just doesn't matter.

I know... it can be a bitter pill to swallow.

Clearly can go 10k miles with ease.

In fact, I'll bet you that the same could be said even using ST dino oil. (I have successfully run ST dino 5w-30 to 10k and 15k miles and the UOAs were perfectly "normal" on my old Nissan VG30E in our Villager).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Clearly can go 10k miles with ease.

In fact, I'll bet you that the same could be said even using ST dino oil. (I have successfully run ST dino 5w-30 to 10k and 15k miles and the UOAs were perfectly "normal" on my old Nissan VG30E in our Villager).

How much makeup oil was added in ur 10 and 15k runs. Quite impressive. Which filters?

7K miles and TBN is still 5.1? Yeah 10k would be no sweat! My only partial concern is that at 9.6cst is almost on the border of being a thick 20 weight. Idk what supertech starts out as, but if its already a thin 30 weight when a virgin fluid, then theres only very mild fuel dilution or shear. No idea how bad those engines are with fuel dilution, but the 5w30 seems to be working fantastic for you.

If you have a rural king near you, and want to try and get as cheap an oil change as possible, I would try out the harvest king synthetic for $10 a 5qt jug. I would expect results very similar to supertech syn personally.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back