Car BARELY started yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I went to start my Accord and it was barely turning over, the battery light was flickering while this was happening. It finally started on the third try after an extended turn over. I have been driving the same short trips to work and back daily as usual but it has been in the 20's lately. The battery was replaced about 2 years ago, so its not that old. Could the cold weather + short trips cause this type of behavior? Once I got it started I went on maybe a 10 mile drive to juice the battery up a little and all has been fine since.

Since the battery is only 2 years old you probably have a battery that doesn't have the CCA to handle the cold. Should be alright once it warms up.

For those short trips, try to leave off as many accessories as possible. Things like radio, ac, heat, fan, etc. even if a little uncomfortable. It will only be for a short time and the battery won't take such a hit. You can get a free battery test at AA/AZ and they can tell you the CCSs the battery has.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Since the battery is only 2 years old you probably have a battery that doesn't have the CCA to handle the cold. Should be alright once it warms up.

Yep, these K24's have small batteries from the factory. I am interested in upgrading it next time to the one they fit the J35's with.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
For those short trips, try to leave off as many accessories as possible. Things like radio, ac, heat, fan, etc. even if a little uncomfortable. It will only be for a short time and the battery won't take such a hit. You can get a free battery test at AA/AZ and they can tell you the CCSs the battery has.

+1

Your battery is probably discharged from all of those short trips. Put it on a charger and see if that makes a difference. 20 deg is not that cold, you should have no issues starting on a 2 year old battery.

Greg, I highly recommend getting rid of that anemic 51R and get a 24F. The 24F fits in there excellent and you'll get 750CCA. 100 more than a Group 35.

The 51R are not known for being stellar batteries.

Remove the plastic beauty bracket from the 51R, take a hammer and bend flush the two stamped metal ears. It is of no value to purchase any of the V6/Group 35 battery plastics.
smile.gif

mxUlZqt.jpg

Last edited:
Go buy a cheap volt meter from Harbor Freight, they work good and you can keep an eye on voltage.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: gregk24
Could the cold weather + short trips cause this type of behavior?

Yep.
Cold weather seriously he lives in Florida unless it was sustained tempature of 0F outside cold really had nothing to do with it you have a bum battery more than likely I would have it load tested it’s only way to know

FWIW, I have always been under the notion that it is the heat that kills the batteries and this deteriorated battery shows itself in cold weather.

Originally Posted By: redhat
FWIW, I have always been under the notion that it is the heat that kills the batteries and this deteriorated battery shows itself in cold weather.
Exactly what I’ve always been told

Another possible issue is oil weight. Being in Florida, it may have been filled with an oil suitable for higher temperatures. It makes a difference, but being that this particular cold spell looks to end in the next week, it's academic.

For what it's worth, it was 1 degree F this morning here in PA and boy did my car moan & complain when I started it.

20f is not that cold in scheme of it except for FL people.

Your battery is weak and short trips are not the cause but do not help your compromised battery limp along.

Get the battery load tested.

Exactly.
20F is a moderate winter temperature.
My '12 K24 started at around -14F last Tuesday morning on the factory original battery.
greg has, in order of likeliness, dirty or loose terminal connections, a bum battery or a bum alternator.
Even were he running 20W-50, starting should not have been any problem at 20F.

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
Originally Posted By: redhat
Exactly what I’ve always been told

Cold doesn't affect the batteries, unless it's so cold that the electrolyte inside of it freezes. However, starts in codld temps drain the battery significantly and if the commute is not long enough to recharge the battery, it will slowly get weaker and weaker, until it is really noticeable, just like OP experienced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back