Old Ratchet

Status
Not open for further replies.

SWS

I have a Craftsman 3/8 Ratchet that I bought in 1972. Nothing special / well cared for / occasional use / sentimental value exceeds actual value. The internals are getting draggy / sticky on direction selection and it even drags a lot in the 'free' direction (either way). It appears I can take it apart by removing a C clamp, and my idea is to simply clean and lubricate it.
Any suggestions on the task? And what to use for lube? I was thinking something light M1 0W-20, sparingly.
Thanks for your thoughts!

SWS

It's not uncommon to service a ratchet. I think the internals need grease, not oil, though. I would disassemble it over a bowl just in case parts fly out
smile.gif

Take it apart,clean with brake cleaner or mineral spirits and grease with a moly grease. I have three and service them about once every two years. Last forever if used for intended purpose. No cheater bars please.

That's what I do with my fine tooth gearwrench brand ratchet. It's an extended handle, flex head that I abuse the snot out of. I take it apart and lube it every few months, and I've rebuilt it 3 or 4 times. I'll be sad when the flex joint finally let's go.

Originally Posted By: SWS
I have a Craftsman 3/8 Ratchet that I bought in 1972. Nothing special / well cared for / occasional use / sentimental value exceeds actual value. The internals are getting draggy / sticky on direction selection and it even drags a lot in the 'free' direction (either way). It appears I can take it apart by removing a C clamp, and my idea is to simply clean and lubricate it.
Any suggestions on the task? And what to use for lube? I was thinking something light M1 0W-20, sparingly.
Thanks for your thoughts!

SWS

Do you mean snap ring instead of a C clamp? As others have save take apart, clean and use grease to get it back in top shape.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
One common option, if you want to try the lazy way, just dunk the head in ATF and let it soak a while.

Can use any oil really. My automotive instructor told us that he had a coworker one time that stored his ratchets in a ice cube tray filled with oil.

Take it down and clean it , relube with Super Lube. It works great on coarse tooth ratchets.

Check the number on your wrench, but you may can use a rebuild/repair kit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CRAFTSMAN-3-8-DRIVE-TORQUE-RATCHET-REBUILD-KIT/332511727242?epid=1528232994&hash=item4d6b3e4e8a:g:IMoAAOSwC6dZrZRt

I have 2 of those, both 3/8" and 1/2". Bought around 1962 I think. I had to do the 1/2". Take it apart, clean and dry it, the lube lightly with some chassis grease. I used a grease with moly in it. They both still work great.

thumbsup2.gif

When you take it apart watch out for tiny stiff springs that'll jump out,
often they are behind ratchet balls inside, once you lose those, you'll
have a hard time replacing them.

Lube with grease, stays in place and won't run out like oil!

I just toss them in a can half full with ATF when I am done for the weekend. Been doing this since trade school 40 odd years ago and never had one apart to clean yet (had to rebuild a few for tooth damage or slop though, not related to cleaning or lube).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back